Spacepilot/3dsmax9-64 view navigation

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

lee

Post by lee »

Hi, can anybody help please?

Problem: rotating around the far end of a model in a perspective view is fine when I have a subobject selected (as the view will rotate around the subobject), but if I have no subobjects selected and still in a subobject mode I can't rotate around the area of focus. (To rotate around the area out of subobject mode I centre the model's pivot point in the area I am working).

Using a camera view and rotating around the camera's focus/target does the job but a camera move is added to the undo list for every re-position. This is actually too frustrating to use when I am exploring shapes and frequently need to undo!

Am I missing something or maybe the 3dconnexion team could create a 'modelling' camera that doesn't add moves to the undo stack?

Thanks for any help,

Lee.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi lee

I tried to reproduce. I have loaded a simple scene and selected a far object and selected object mode in the plug-in. I work in the perspective view. In this case the rotation will be made around that object. If I haven't any object selected, the whole scene will be rotated. In the first instance I tried the whole thing on a 32 bit machine.

It worked just fine.

Have I missed something?

Could you describe a scenario to reproduce? Could you also send a scene with which you had problem, or with which I could reproduce the issue you described?
agoenczi
lee

Post by lee »

Hi agoenczi,

I'm sorry I didn't spend enough time to understand the problem I'm experiencing. In trying to ensure as little time as possible is consumed by it I made some wrong assumptions, didn't look deep enough and in the end wasted some of your time.

The problem is with the 'screen' reference coordinate system.

Working on an editable poly/mesh in subobject mode, without a subobject selected and in the 'screen' RCS, the rotations seem to be based on the 'view centre' system (as with the standard arc rotate).

I think this shouldn't be the case because I don't think the reference coordinate system should affect the viewport navigation?

When I use the 'view' RCS, I am able to rotate around the object's pivot point which allows me to concentrate on one area of a model, such as the hand of a human character, by positioning the model's pivot point in the centre of the hand.

This is what I tried to acheive with a camera and it's target (by placing the target in the centre of the hand) and using the spacepilot's 'move camera' setting. I forgot that by doing so I was manipulating an actual camera and adding its movements to the undo stack!

Please can you look into this reference coordinate system issue and possibly advise me of your findings?

Thank you very much for your time and your help,

Lee.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi lee

Could you, please, send me a sample scene which would be suitable to reproduce the issue? (Or indicate a source where I could get such a scene.)
agoenczi
lee

Post by lee »

I created a simple scene to reproduce the problem:

Create any object and convert it to an editable poly/mesh. (a long box will illustrate the problem well as it's exremeties will swing around to a greater degree than a sphere, for example)

Select a subobject mode such as vertex.

Set the reference coordinate system to 'view'.

Use the spacepilot to navigate around the object in the perspective viewport. [The scene rotates around the selection's centre]

Set the reference coordinate system to 'screen'.

Again, use the spacepilot to navigate around the object in the perspective viewport. [The scene rotates using the 'view centre' system]

Now imagine you were shaping one of the ends of your box and you wanted to spot any problem areas (still in subobject mode with no subobjects selected). You want to rotate the object in the view and concentrate on that extreme end. Unfortunately, as you rotate, the end you are working on swings out of view.

In the 'view' RCS the viewport rotation is centred on the object's pivot point. To concentrate on the far end of your box you can move the pivot point to the end and thus rotate as if you had a subobject selected.

I hope I've described it clearly enough? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Lee.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi lee

The description you posted is for experimented 3DS Max users and unfortunately I am not even a 3DS Max user.

I created a long box. How do I convert it to an editable mesh?

Thank you!
agoenczi