HELP!!! 4000FLX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

thermocad

HELP!!! 4000FLX

Post by thermocad »

HI

I have just got hold of a spaceball 4000 flx serial connection. As my pc was not serial compatibule i have just put a brand new serial card in which looks like its running ok when i turn the computere on the spaceball bleeps twice. I download the latest driver/software of the 3Dconnexion site and its still not working, when i turn the pc on it just comes up with "no 3d motion controller could be detected".....

Can anyone help?? :(
phingerz

Post by phingerz »

I also have this problem. Downloaded drivers old and new....still nothing. Someone please help. TIA.
agoenczi
User
User

HELP!!! 4000FLX

Post by agoenczi »

Hi thermocad, hi phingerz

Please install the 3DxSoftware v2.8.2 which is the last version supporting SpaceBall 4000 FLX. You should install 3DxSoftware after installing your applications as 3DxSoftware needs to recognise the already installed software.

There are some restrictions for 3DxSoftware v2.8.2: it will not work with Windows Vista.

Please specify what applications do you want to use with the SpaceBall 4000FLX.

However it would be a great idea to upgrade your devices as the serial interface will not be supported any more under Windows. I am sure you will find something suitable and choosing a new product you will benefit of full support for recent applications (as GoogleEarth, Google SketchUp and many more).
agoenczi
thermocad

Post by thermocad »

I have fully installed the drivers for the serial card and installed the aplications (catia v5 and photoshop) and i have removed and reinstalled the drivers form your web site and it still just bleeps twice and nothink.
The spaceball is put under the human interface device section under the system panel can this be causeing it to malfunction in this was??
Fred

Post by Fred »

Specify com port.

1. Go to Start...Programs...3dxonnexion...3dxware...(right click) on "Start Driver" go to "properties".

2. Edit the "Target" line.

Old Line:
"C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxSrv.exe" -searchWarnDlg

New line:
"C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxSrv.exe" -com 1

3. save configuration

4. Start driver.

P.S depending on your com ports you may have to change the -com 1 to a -com 2 etc.
thermocad

Post by thermocad »

Cheers Fred

That worked a treat and it all up and running now!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Many Thanks!
JBM

Spacemouse 4000 3dsmax 9

Post by JBM »

Hello i have bought a Spacemouse 4000 by mistake last week i believed it was a 5000... now i have to make it work with my 3dsmax 9, i was really disapointed when i saw there was no driver support with new releases of my software. Is it to make more money ?
Usually when you change a product for a new one, this is because there something new, something better you cannot have with the old one. Is it the case ? explain me why i should change my Spacemouse 4000 for a new 3dconnection product (exept the color and design it is exactly the same), and even if i bought a new one (350 Euros, i am French...excuse my poor english) when there will be 3dsmax 2008 out or 2009 should i have to change it again ? because there is no software support after two or three years ? even Apple do not do that.
So please is possible to make it work ? is there a way to hack the driver to do it ? Thanks for your replies. JB
agoenczi
User
User

Spacemouse 4000 3dsmax 9

Post by agoenczi »

Hi JBM

As most of the computer manufacturers dropped to integrate serial interface into their new computer models, 3Dconnexion dropped similarly the support for serial devices in the new 3DxSoftware releases.
agoenczi
LeeC22

Re: HELP!!! 4000FLX

Post by LeeC22 »

agoenczi wrote:However it would be a great idea to upgrade your devices as the serial interface will not be supported any more under Windows. I am sure you will find something suitable and choosing a new product you will benefit of full support for recent applications (as GoogleEarth, Google SketchUp and many more).
That's a great suggestion, apart from the fact that I use 2 of these devices daily and I fail to see why I should pay $600 (for the equivalent new product) because you can't be bothered to support the device.

So how about this great idea, give existing users a 75% discount if they send back their old hardware. I suspect that idea will be as well received as your suggestion for us to give you more money, for a product you can drop again in a few years time.
agoenczi wrote:As most of the computer manufacturers dropped to integrate serial interface into their new computer models, 3Dconnexion dropped similarly the support for serial devices in the new 3DxSoftware releases.
I upgraded less than 6 months ago to a brand new board with a serial connector. A lot of serious users still use that connection. Even if the board doesn't have an onboard connector, you can still buy a card with the connection on it. It also works through a Serial to USB converter as I have it running on one machine, so I am sorry but that excuse just doesn't hold up.

This is the typical, "we will force you to upgrade by dropping support" and it's a tactic that doesn't go down well with customers. It shows a complete lack of respect on your part.
agoenczi
User
User

HELP!!! 4000FLX

Post by agoenczi »

Hi LeeC22
So how about this great idea, give existing users a 75% discount if they send back their old hardware.
3Dconnexion had such an action end of last year until March 2007. Unfortunately the action wasn't extended.

You can still use some applications with the driver you have.
agoenczi
drelbar

Post by drelbar »

I noticed that the SpaceExplorer has a serial version. Will this product be supported under Windows? How about for Windows 2000?

We are using a home grown application that works with the SpaceBall 4000 FLX serial version. Would the SpaceExplorer serial version work as a replacement without needing software changes? This is running on Windows 2000.

We bought a USB SpaceExplorer and the application does not work with it. It is very difficult to get the development group to change the home grown application and it is not possible to buy SpaceBall 4000 FLX serial version anymore.

Thanks,
LeeC22

Re: HELP!!! 4000FLX

Post by LeeC22 »

agoenczi wrote:3Dconnexion had such an action end of last year until March 2007. Unfortunately the action wasn't extended.
That's not really surprising is it? I mean, why continue a deal that benefits the customer, when you can force them to upgrade for the full price?

Tell you what, I'll send you both my 4000FLX's in exchange for 1 of your new devices of the equivalent functionality. Lets just see how much you really want to thank the customer for their support and money.

My guess is the response will be "we're very sorry, but we can't offer deals like that"
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello drelbar,

The 3DxWare driver no longer supports serial devices, and it never supported the serial SpaceExplorer. The serial SE came out after the 3DxWare driver stopped supporting serial devices.

If your application uses the SDK, any device will work with it. If you programmed to the serial port protocol, that is a dead end. Your best bet is old devices on eBay.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
LeeC22

Post by LeeC22 »

jwick wrote:The serial SE came out after the 3DxWare driver stopped supporting serial devices.
That's a classic statement... why would you release a device after the software stopped supporting that interface?

You must be proud to be part of a software development team that abandons its customers... at least it makes the rest of us look good, so thanks for that.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi LeeC22,
jwick wrote:The serial SE came out after the 3DxWare driver stopped supporting serial devices.
That's a classic statement... why would you release a device after the software stopped supporting that interface?
The SpaceExplorer Serial was never offered to Windows customers. It was available for the UNIX and Linux markets.

We went out of our way to provide a product for the UNIX professional environment and the Linux community.

There was no demand for serial devices from Windows customers. An increasing number of Windows boxes have been shipping without serial ports.