What can I expect from the Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

sgryd

Post by sgryd »

Hi.
Excuse me for some stupid questions. I'm actually quite excited and I'm awaiting my SpaceNavigator.

I use AutoCad 2008. When I switched mouse from Logitech MX 700 to Logitech MX Revolution the middle button pan/orbit stoped working so I ended up having two mice. I use the MX700 for AutoCad.

I draw in both 2D and 3D. I also use Photoshop CS3 alot.

How is the navigators intended use? Do I have the mouse in my right hand (as usual) and the navigator in the left?

What should I expect in terms of productivity? I don't mean 30% this and that, but real life examples. I can't wait until I can draw a line and pan to see where it's going without using the mouse middle button and making awkward moves with the mouse. Are there more real life examples to read/learn anywhere?

If the navigator is as good as I hope I'll probably move on to pilot or explorer.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi sgryd,

Thank you for contacting us.

You can use the SpaceNavigator in both the applications you mentioned. In AutoCAD 2008 you can pan/zoom in 2D and navigate around the model, respectively rotate your model in 3D. An extra is to use the available buttons of the device by mapping some functions you need. The driver GUI allows you the button mapping for AutoCAD 2008 and Adobe Photoshop (CS2 or CS3).

You can use the 3D mouse as an extra to the mouse and you should use it as you already described (your right hand using the mouse and your left the 3D mouse).

You will have a short learning period because you have to be used navigating with the device. You will notice an increase of productivity but the exact amount is difficult to predict because it depends from what you are exactly doing.

As the SpaceNavigator is an entry-level device you will get used to it and later you could change to another device, which offers more functionality.
agoenczi