Has this forum been hacked?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rogerchristmas

Has this forum been hacked?

Post by rogerchristmas »

It is now full of unrelated links. What gives???
Tehrasha

Re: Has this forum been hacked?

Post by Tehrasha »

The moderators are on holiday, and the spammers have figured it out.
This is the ugliest I have ever seen it.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
jwick

Post by jwick »

What's with fifa coins and winter jackets anyway?
pball

Post by pball »

I wonder if it's a bot infestation or some really bored people making making spam accounts. I had a bot problem when I setup a forum before, luckily a captcha and a spam addon fixed it. Kinda surprised a forum like this can't solve the issue, unless it's actual people spamming then it's harder.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

The current Moncler jacket spam is most likely a bot.
And like most spam today, they do not even expect people to click on the links.
The have an army of bots to come back later and 'click' the links for them, to rack up referral hits.

Some of the biggest spam issues for this board, are the board itself.
Unless things have changed in the last couple years, phpBB's abuse handling tools are not very robust.
Removing abusive accounts with phpBB's built-in admin tools is incredibly tedious, and impossible to automate.

It is very similar to what users have to go through to mark posts as spam.
Click to report. Select 'spam' from the options, click NO 'I do not want email telling me something was done', click submit.
This is an acceptable method when you only report a couple messages per day. Not so much when there are over a 100 posts in single day.
The same is true for the administration tools. Click, click, check, click, Submit. Lather , rinse, repeat.

Additionally, I do not know what limits the moderators are working under... but it looks as though spam accounts are not being deleted. Only disabled from posting and the offensive spam postings hidden. I have no idea if moderators here are using, or even allowed to use IP bans.

A captcha would be a nice addition, especially when the current 'post test message first' system does not work properly.

The other tool needed is a spam hating pro-active admin with a taste for blood. :)
If there was an admin tool, that would display a list of accounts, like the 'Members' option at the top of the page, with a checkbox next to each account for deletion, I would gladly... GLEEFULLY work my way though at 16000+ accounts on this board.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

It takes a special kind of stupid to spam FIFA coins on a thread discussing spammers of FIFA coins.
jwick

Post by jwick »

We need an emoji for a "thumbs up". Maybe we can steal one from facebook.