Space Pilot rotation issue

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bowtie Bob

Space Pilot rotation issue

Post by Bowtie Bob »

I've been having a problem with the rotation on my Space Pilot, and it is really getting to the point of frustrating me now. For some reason, when I rotate something around the vertical (Y) axis, it moves much faster in one direction than the other (2 or 3 times faster).

At first I thought it might be an issue with my unit, but I tried it with the other SP that we have, and it did the same thing (at least when hooked to my computer). I have also tried it in both SolidWorks and AutoCAD, and it acts the same in both programs.

Is there some sort of calibration setting in the software that I haven't seen? Has anyone else noticed this problem?
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel (the generic one, not any program specific dialog boxes) go to the Advanced Settings tab. There you'll find sliders to control the sensitivity and direction of each axis.

-Mahir
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

That only helps the entire axis though, not an individual direction on that axis. I've also tried clicking the "Calibrate" button, which doesn't seem to help (assuming its actually doing something)

The problem I have is that when I twist to the left, the model spins 2-3 times faster than when I twist it to the right. If I slow down the axis it makes twisting to the left normal, but twisting to the right is now VERY slow.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Bowtie Bob,
I've also tried clicking the "Calibrate" button, which doesn't seem to help (assuming its actually doing something)
The "Calibrate" button is used to redefine the rest position of the device (so that actual movement can be measured). As a test, try holding on to the cap and then press the button: you will see that, when you release the 3D Mouse cap, the 3D model on the screen will continue move since the internal sensor is now measuring a (constant) displacement from the rest position. Pressing the button again -- without anything touching the cap -- will recalibrate the sensor to the correct position.
The problem I have is that when I twist to the left, the model spins 2-3 times faster than when I twist it to the right. If I slow down the axis it makes twisting to the left normal, but twisting to the right is now VERY slow.
This behaviour is consistent with a hardware issue. Please contact our Customer Service since they are set-up to deal with that type of issues. Contact details are here.
Nuno Gomes