SpaceNavigator causing Google Earth v4.1.7076.4458 to hang?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Have you run into this problem or can you repro it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:18 am

Yes
100%
No - And I use the exact same GE version
No votes
No - But I'm using a different GE version
No votes

Total votes: 1

SonarTech

SpaceNavigator causing Google Earth v4.1.7076.4458 to hang?

Post by SonarTech »

I suspect this is a Google Earth problem, but since Google couldn't care less about bug reports or posts in their own forums for ANY of their products, I thought I'd mention this issue here in case someone else hits it.

I've been using the GE 4.1 Beta since it was released with my mouse without incident. However, after getting my SpaceNavigator on May 15 and installing the freshest drivers available for it from the web, it takes me anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes to kill Google Earth Plus with the thing.

I simply pan, zoom, tilt, etc... and eventually GE stops downloading new map data. The streaming indicator still ticks along like it's waiting on the network, but it never actually download anything. At this point, the program's close to crashing, but it's NOT hung yet... Shortly after that, if I attempt to do much else with the SpaceNavigator OR I try to log-out of GE's server, the thing hangs (Application not responding). I have to use Task Manager to get it out of memory.

The other way it crashes is similar to the first, but it instantly hangs when moving around. The map display area vanishes completely and the app hangs. Again, I have to use Task Manager to get it out of memory.

The repro is 100%. If I use my mouse, I can't break it. If I use SpaceNavigator, it takes about 2 to 5 minutes. I also noticed that when I initially installed SpaceNavigator, the Left Button on Space Navigator worked to reset Tilt & North as defined by default. Now, even though it's still set to reset Tilt & North, it doesn't do anything at all. The button still works - If I assign it to open the Control Panel, for example (like the right button is assigned by default), it works. If I set it to do stuff in Google Earth, it won't work now.

Honestly, I think SpaceNavigator is just stressing Google Earth enough to the point it crashes. Normally, I'd blame it on the fact that it's a Beta, but since this is a Pri 1 Sev 1 bug that results in data loss (because the application hangs), I felt compelled to post about the problem here. Too bad Google's staff couldn't care less about these reports.

The SpaceNavigator works great in Microsoft Virtual Earth - it hasn't crashed once. Maybe I should get a refund from Google for my Keyhole subscription and send it ti Microsoft... Oh, wait - Virtual Earth's free... Nevermind...

SonarTech

My system Config:

- P4 3.4G Dual
- 2 Gigs Sys RAM
- GeForce 8800 GTX Latest WHQL cert. Drivers
- Dual Monitor
- Windows Vista UE
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi SonarTech,
Apologises for not replying any sooner. We're looking into this but we believe that you're correct: this seems to be a problem with the application itself.

When we know more, we will post the results here.
Nuno Gomes
SonarTech

Post by SonarTech »

For the very first time today, I got Google Earth Plus to crash in the way described above using only my mouse. So now I'm completely convinced Google Earth's broken somewhere.

Spacenavigator just makes the repro real, real easy...

SonarTech
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi SonarTech,

We have been unable to reproduce any hangs or crashes of GE using only a 3D Mouse in our lab. We have some reports for problems but, just as you mentioned, nothing specifically tied to the 3D Mouse.
SonarTech

Post by SonarTech »

Ok. Good to know. I assume you're using Vista Ultimate Edition as well? Anyway, I'm not going to ask you to debug what must certainly be a Google Earth issue, but if you become aware of a way to enable "debugging output" or something like that, I'd appreciate the hint so I could catch this thing in action.

Thanks!

SonarTech
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

SonarTech wrote:I assume you're using Vista Ultimate Edition
Yes. We used both Vista Ultimate 32- and 64-bit editions in addition to Windows 2000 and XP.