Unexpected rotation Using SpacePilot in Solidworks 2006

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pmccrorey

Post by pmccrorey »

HELP!!!

Frustration boils...:evil:

When I try to rotate an assembly in Solidworks 2006, it acts unexpectedly - usually by rotating off into no-where land. It's as it I am rotating around some bogus center point.

WHAT I REALLY WANT -> to have the rotation be centered around a center point on the screen or some other intuitive point.

Of course Solidworks dudes say "ain't my fault - check with 3D Connection".

As a note, I am aware of the Center mouse button click local/temporary rotation - but unfortunately, this action doesn't work with my SpacePilot.

Looking for help before I throw this spacepilot...well I wouldn't do that...!

Cheers.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi pmccrorey,

Do you get this effect with simple parts too, or only with more complicated assemlies?

Please describe a scenario with which I could reproduce.
agoenczi
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi pmccrorey,

One thing to try is the "Auto Rotation" option in the "Properties" panel of the 3Dcontrol add-in (accessible from the "3Dcontrol" menu).

SolidWorks is right: the "3Dcontrol" add-in (the software that enables the use of 3D Mice in the application) is developed and maintained by 3Dconnexion.

We would still appreciate if, as Arpad requested, you could send us a scenario to reproduce the problem.
Nuno Gomes
pmccrorey

Post by pmccrorey »

ngomes and agoenczi,

I changed the settings you suggested (3d control > properties > auto-control center) This seems to help.

However, I have also noticed that I get this problem when I am in "perspective" view mode with either an assembly or a simple part.

If you zoom up and don't see the origin, in perspective mode and try to rotate the part, the left and right pans seem to act weird. For example, if the part slides off to the right and I try to pan it back to the middle (using left pan), the part continues to shoot off to the right.

Also, if you zoom into the part from way out and make sure you are zooming in straight, eventually the part starts veering to the right. when you get it up close, the part seems to go to the right. Its very touchy to move the part back to the middle and will rotate off the screen with the slightest movement.
jwick

Post by jwick »

It sounds like the center of rotation is very far away.
pmccrorey

How?

Post by pmccrorey »

do you have any suggestions about changing the center of rotation - especially in 'perspective' mode.
agoenczi
User
User

How?

Post by agoenczi »

Hi pmccrorey

I tried with SW 2006 SP0.0 and used an assambly delivered with the software called "motor casing.sldasm". I clicked to a part and selected "Sets Center Point" from the plug-in. I could rotate around the center point I selected.

Are you experiencing something else?
agoenczi
pmccrorey

No "Sets Center Point" in plugin

Post by pmccrorey »

Hi Agoenczi,

I assume you are looking at the "3Dcontrol" menu in Solidworks. When I click this, all I see is the following choices:

toolbar / import / export / next configuration / previous configuration / translation (checked) / rotation (checked) / dominant / properties / customize menu

I don't see a center point

I am using Solidworks Office Premium 2006 SP2.1.
ngomes

Re: No "Sets Center Point" in plugin

Post by ngomes »

Hi pmccrorey,
I assume you are looking at the "3Dcontrol" menu in Solidworks.
Not the menu but the "3Dcontrol" toolbar.
agoenczi
User
User

No "Sets Center Point" in plugin

Post by agoenczi »

Hi pmccrorey

No, I was referring to a symbol in the toolbar which is similar with a cross and has a central point. It is the left-most symbol in the 3Dconnexion toolbar.

If you would like just send me your e-mail address in a PM and I will send you a screenshot.
agoenczi