SpaceNavigator : Device not found under Mavericks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

JRamos

SpaceNavigator : Device not found under Mavericks

Post by JRamos »

Hi, i upgraded to Mavericks and my SpaceNavigator is not recognised. I'm using Mavericks on a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.4.
I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled it (with and without the mouse plugged) and still nothing (on System Properties it simply says "device not found").
Anyone had the same issue?

Thanx.
Fred

Re: SpaceNavigator : Device not found under Mavericks

Post by Fred »

Unplug the Spacenavigator
Hold button #1 and button #2 down on theSpacenavigator
While holding the buttons
plug in the device
wait about 15 seconds
release the 2 buttons.

Check the installed demo to verify whether your device is working outside of your application. Make sure the SpaceNavigator is plugged into a standard USB port rather than to a hub, dock or monitor.

If this does not work initially, try rebooting the system then do the 2–button restart again – sometimes
the second try will reset the device.
GuidoFausW

Post by GuidoFausW »

I have the same problem and the suggested actions did not solve it.
Any more ideas?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello GuidoFausW -

The OS is unable to see the device if the previous driver [3DxMacware] is not removed before installing the 3DxWare for OSX driver.

When this is the problem you will see a login item '3Dconnexion Helper' [Users and groups - Login items] To remove it use the uninstall utility [~\Applications\Utilities\Uninstall 3Dconnexion] . After uninstalling the 3DxMacware driver , if you are still seeing 'Device not found' check that 3Dconnexion Helper is not in Login Items then run the current installer again.
----------------
Barbara
ewd2002

Post by ewd2002 »

Hi, I'm also having similar problems to those above. Running Osx 10.9.1 on an iMac. Trying to use Sketchup 2013 with the space navigator. Based on moderator suggestions, I uninstalled the previous drivers with Application/Utilities/uninstall 3D then downloaded and installed the latest from the download section of the website. After installing and restarting, a previously functional space navigator, now isn't recognized the the system preferences window. It says 3DxWare 10 (v. 10.1.0) and No Device Found Firmware -
I also tried the "unplug, 2 button, plug in, wait 15, release" maneuver several times with a computer restart in the middle without any success.
Please help...
Eric
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Eric -

The 'No device found' error happens when there are parts of two different drivers on the computer. Are you are seeing two instances of '3Dconnexion Helper' in Login items ? Using 'Show in Finder' will tell you which driver version the login items belong to. If there is more than one , there are still components of the older driver present.

As long as components for the 3DxMacware driver are starting it prevents the current software - 3DxWare for OSX - from being able to see the device . The "No device found" [Firmware 0.00] error is listed in this faq.

You can use Finder to locate any other instances of 3Dconnexion software. Make sure to restart the system before running the current installer again so that the older software is not still in memory.
---------------
Barbara
ewd2002

Post by ewd2002 »

Hi Barbara, thanks for the response. There were definitely not two instances of "3Dconnexion Helper" in the Login items. I used the uninstaller to uninstall, then restarted, and used the Finder to search for anything "3Dconnexion" related or "3DxMacware" related (there was nothing) then installed the downloaded driver (downloaded yesterday) and restarted again. Nothing has changed. Still "No device Found"
Any additional ideas?
Thanks,
Eric
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi Eric -
Make sure the Space Navigator is connected directly to a USB port on the Mac rather than a hub, monitor or adapter. The Space Navigator needs full USB power for the device to be detected.

You could also try using a different driver version. If you check 'Also show archived software' on our download page previous versions are displayed. Choose the previous 3DxWare 10 for OS X driver - Release 10.0.14. Uninstall the existing driver [Rel 10.1.0] by dragging its Preferences icon to the Trash.
-----------
Barbara
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Eric,

to uninstall the driver please use the entry Applications -> 3Dconnexion -> Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.
frederikvannespen

Post by frederikvannespen »

Hi all.

I have the same problem, tried all of the above but not working...
Anything?
Fred

Post by Fred »

The OS is unable to see the device if the previous driver [3DxMacware] is not removed before installing the 3DxWare for OSX driver.
Use the following steps to remove the 3Dconnexion software and settings and re-install.

When this is the problem you will see a login item '3Dconnexion Helper' [Users and groups - Login items] 1. To remove it use the uninstall utility [~\Applications\Utilities\Uninstall
3Dconnexion]. If prompted reboot, Check to see if you are still getting a 'Device not found' check that 3Dconnexion Helper is not in Login Items then run the current installer again.

If the above does not work here are additional steps;

1. Open System Preferences, hold down CTRL and click on 3Dconnexion Preferences. The text is 'Remove 3Dconnexion Preference pane'.
2. Go to your home directory's ~|Library|Preferences folder and delete
everything named 'com.3dconnexion.*' Make sure to look in your home directory rather than in the system's |Library|Preferences folder.
3. Restart your iMac
4. Reinstall 3DxWareMac_v10.1.2 driver

Once the software is re-installed, open 3Dconnexion Preferences - Tools. Open 3Dx Demo and verify navigation is working with the cable connected.