OSX drivers 10.0.14 completely broken? (RetinaMB w/ Mavrick)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

featherodd

OSX drivers 10.0.14 completely broken? (RetinaMB w/ Mavrick)

Post by featherodd »

I've just installed the latest 3DxWare10 drivers (10.0.14) on a new 15" retina Macbook and the drivers seems to be completely broken. After rebooting, 3D Home launched automatically and then my mouse, keyboard and trackpad input was frozen until I unplugged my SpaceNavigator. I installed the 3D Connexion plugins using the system prefs pane and the after the config pane seemed to properly detect my device. Unfortunately it still does not working under any supported application, same with the included demos. I tried unplugging and replugging in the the SpaceNavigator. A couple times it froze my computer until I unplugged it. A couple other times the whole OS crashed, showing me a white screen + scary message of mac death and then automatically rebooted, meaning I also rebooted a couple times while testing. I'm using a very new macbook with OS X 10.9 and Very little is installed on it. Otherwise I have had ZERO problems, crashes or freezes with any other software. The SpaceNavigator is only the second device I've plugged in or installed drivers for (the first being an RME Babyface and RME is notorious for some of the most rock solid drivers. If the 3DxWare 10 beta drivers I tried last year under Winblows were any indications of 3D Connextion's prowess as driver developers, I would guess 3D Connextion is not notorious for even marginally stable drivers, but hopefully that wasn't always the case nor will be in the future. fingers crossed). These latest OS X drivers basically seem 100% broken, at least on my machine, and completely non functional.. unless you're trying to freeze and crash your computer, then they are utterly fantastic! some of the best I have ever seen actually!!

Any help or updates on these drivers actually working would be greatly appreciated.
featherodd

Re: OSX drivers 10.0.14 completely broken? (RetinaMB w/ Mavr

Post by featherodd »

Just updated to the latest 3DxWare 10.1.0 for a lark. This update claims it's compatible with OS X Mavricks, but the drivers still seem to be completely broken garbage. It either still won't detect my SpaceNavigator, or it detects it after only after unplugging the mouse, or my mouse/trackpad freezes right after plugging it it, or the my MacBook can will even freeze bringing up a white screen of death. This is still a relatively new Retina MacBook with zero other problems and only a modest amount of other stuff installed.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello -

In case you are still seeing a driver issue or for anyone else who may experience something similar - there are two different driver series - the current Mavericks driver 3DxWare 10 for OS X and the previous 3DxMacWare drivers.

If there was a 3DxMacWare driver installed that was not completely removed before installing the 3DxWare 10 driver, the device will not be recognized.

The two drivers start up differently with the 3DxMacWare driver using a '3Dconnexion Helper' startup process. If the startup process is not removed, it remains in Login Items and the 3DxWare 10 driver will not be able to detect the device.

This can be prevented by uninstalling the 3DxMacWare driver. When there is a 3DxMacWare driver is installed, there will be 'Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.app' in Applications|Utilities as well as the'3Dconnexion Helper' item in Users and Groups |Login items.

Use the Applications|Utilities 'Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver' to remove the 3DxMacWare driver before installing the current 3DxWare 10.

On Mavericks Macs where there has not been a previous driver installed we see the driver able to recognize devices without a problem.
----------
Barbara
featherodd

Post by featherodd »

This is a relatively new Macbook. I have never installed 3DxMacWare only 3DxWare 10.0.14 a couple weeks ago, which I recently updated to 10.1.0. Could you please tell me how to completely uninstall 3DxWare 10.1.0? I am glad to hear to some you have some experience of people using the drivers without problem, but at least on my Macbook, 3DxWare appears to be completely broken.

Note: since installing 10.0.14, I now have tattiebogle's Xbox 360 controller driver installed. And with both 10.0.14 and 10.1.0 I have had Logitech Control Center installed, which is also a notoriously unstable driver on Mac (hence so many professionals using Steermouse instead). Could either of these be helping to cause 3DxWare to completely crap itself?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello featherodd -

The 3DxWare drivers can be uninstalled by dragging the 3Dconnexion icon from System Preferences to the Trash.

The only thing we have observed thus far blocking device recognition is the '3Dconnexion Helper' item from the 3DxSoftware drivers in Users and Groups |Login items. It is possible though that a login item from other software like the Logitech Control Center could have the same effect. With the '3Dconnexion Helper', un-checking it to stop the process from loading did not correct the problem - only removing it did.

3d devices need the full USB power so with a laptop we check that it's AC adapter is connected for the inital device recognition and that the Space Navigator is plugged directly into a USB port on the laptop.
------------------
Barbara
AHTOH

Post by AHTOH »

Everything was fine with 10.8. My Space Navigator was working well. System was stable.
Than I decided to switch Maverick. Appeared to be a bad idea.
First I installed updated driver. Than I updated to 10.9 with a USB flash drive I bought from Apple reseller. Than my system went to infinite loop of restarts after showing Apple logo. Need to mention it was fresh (month old) installed 10.8.5 system.
So I have to reformat SSD and make a fresh install of Maverick and than 3dconnexion driver. Well… it works, but it does not wake from sleep and crashes instead. Also I notice some other strange behavior.
So, guys, I believe you can do better. Please, check and rewrite your drivers in order not to crash your clients machines.
AHTOH

Post by AHTOH »

Just noticed: system started to loose TCP/IP connection. Restart solves the problem. I uninstalled 3Dconnexion driver and gonna see system`s behaviour.
Also FormZ crashes opening draft files
AHTOH

Post by AHTOH »

Guys from computer support have said that your driver have ruined system kextentions and I have to reinstall again.
Will opt for Mountain Lion (10.8)

Please DO NOT CLAIM that you support Maverick with your garbage drivers before you really do!
kovaltech

Post by kovaltech »

I am running a Macbook pro with 10.7.5 OSX
have a space navigator, was working perfect with sketchup Pro 2013
Had the driver installed 10.***
Was cleaning and updating my system, 3Dconnexion indicated a new driver available, installed that... since then no more response of the space navigator and Bug Splat from Sketchup.
Even with the space navigator not connected.

None of the programs in the 3d connexion folders will start, nor will the uninstal function

Please help with an earlier driver for the spacenavigator and info how to resolve
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi kovaltech,

I am sorry that you encounter problems. We have stopped supporting OS X 10.7 with our latest driver. Find here all supported operating systems. But some of our older drivers are still available on our download site for the legacy drivers.