C4D R13 R14 Viewport Jitter,choppy in Edge,Plane, modes.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Jollytop

C4D R13 R14 Viewport Jitter,choppy in Edge,Plane, modes.

Post by Jollytop »

Hello,
I recently purchased the Space Navigator and
It is truly AMAZING! But shortly after using it in Cinema 4D
R14 I noticed that if I am in edge,point or line modes there is
a jitter and overall un smooth movement in the viewport while
moving the 3d mouse. The odd thing is that this
doesnt happen in "object" mode.
The only thing to do is to either keep the normal mouse
absolutely still while using the 3d mouse or lifting (if you use a Wacom pen)
it off of the table. Then the 3d mouse works right again.
It seems to be a priority thing im not sure why it only glitches in those ploygon modes.
It is very frustrating and I would really apreciate
if somebody out there could think of a work around.
Thanks so much:)
UtaSH

Re: C4D R13 R14 Viewport Jitter,choppy in Edge,Plane, modes.

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Jollytop,

I have tried what you describe, but I could not reproduce. Do you see the issue with all files or just large files. If you create a new small object is it the same problem?

Please adress the issue with Maxon's support. The support for the 3D mouse was implemented in C4D by Maxon directly. They have to investigate and make changes. Let us know if you get an answer from Maxon and if we can help in any way.
Jollytop

Re: C4D R13 R14 Viewport Jitter,choppy in Edge,Plane, modes.

Post by Jollytop »

3D Connexion Space Navigator + WACOM INTUOS 5 --- MAC OSX MOUNTAIN LION --- Tested on C4d R13 and R14:

Alright so after hours of research and breaking my head over this thing I am sad to report that there is no real solution.
The workflow with a 3d Connexion mouse and a Wacom pad together is just not very stable in line,plane,edge modes.
This is mainly because it is very difficult to keep the pen from moving while using the 3d mouse to move around the object,
and any movement from the Wacom pen during this movement will in turn create a jitter/stutter/choppy viewport (as seen in video above).
Only solution: While in line,plane,edge mode, move polygons with the pen and then "lift" the pen from the tablet in order to get smooth 3d mouse movement.
This is a little annoying, but its doable and you still get to use the pen "alternatively" with the 3D mouse.Move 3D mouse,move polygons, move 3D mouse etc.. Never at the same time.
You could actually put the 3D mouse over to your right hand side and control the pen and then use the same hand to control the 3d mouse.An easy way to get the pen away from tablet.
In "OBJECT" mode. You can ignore this rule and keep the pen wherever you want. The 3D mouse moves around and there is never any stutter even with full pen movement.
Using a regular mouse or trackball instead of a WACOM is much more stable. Mainly because after moving the cursor with a mouse keeping it still is much easier.
You still can't move the mouse at the same time but it works a lot better than the WACOM due to it naturally being a more stable cursor.

I hope this helps anyone suffering from the same issue. I think that the 3D mouse is such a great tool and makes using C4D a lot more intuitive and fun. Once its set up correctly and you get the hang of the controls, it really feels like you are flying around a 3D world with no boundaries. Its really something that has to be experienced. Especially with Interior or cityscape type stuff it feels like you are flying through like a superhero, and its very accurate. I would say that even with these choppy viewport problems, its still very much worth getting if you are interested in this sort of thing.

If anyone out there finds any true solutions to this problem please share I will be very grateful;)

Thanks;)

PS: You can see a short video of the problem by going to this link: http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/topic/78167- ... tch-video/
I have not contacted MAXON about this issue as of yet and will report any findings.