Maya 2014 for Mac OSX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jamessawle

Maya 2014 for Mac OSX

Post by jamessawle »

We have just purchased 4 Space Pilot Pro's for our design team to run on 4 new Mac Pro's that we have just received, the boxes will run both Maya 2014 and Lightwave 3D 11.5 as well as the normal mess of other apps required, but the SPP's will need to work with these two apps. we are not too bothered yet about LightWave but we have been trying now for 2 days to get the SPP's working with Maya and with no success at all. The Tutorials work via the installed drivers with the teapot, but we cannot get anything to happen in Maya itself, we have tried installing and reinstalling the plugins and still nothing, also the plugin does not appear in Maya's plugin list, should it??? It also looks like there is a problem with the drivers anyway as when we install the drivers and select the manual, the manual does not load and cannot be found, tried looking on the website for any help but there does not look to be anything around, please help as we only have 2 weeks to return these items before we have to pay a restocking fee.

James
UtaSH

Re: Maya 2014 for Mac OSX

Post by UtaSH »

James,

are you using the driver 3DxWareMac 10.0.11 for the SpacePilot PRO?

The installation of the driver should install the following files to the correct location. Please check.

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/icons/3Dx_Pivot.png
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/icons/3DxLogo_200x90.bmp
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins/3DxMayaResources.bundle
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/C3DxButtonEditor.mel
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/C3DxControlPanel.mel
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/C3DxMapping.mel
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/C3DxMatrix.mel
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/C3DxView.mel
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/MagellanStartup.mel
/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/usersetup.mel

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2014/plug-ins/3DxMaya.bundle

Please let me know your findings.
jamessawle

Post by jamessawle »

None of those files exist, tried re-installing and still not appearing!
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

James,

do you have the path /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2014 ?
jamessawle

Post by jamessawle »

No, I have the following:

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/modules/maya/2014

Only this folder!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hello jamessawle -

The 3Dconnexion plug-in in Maya depends on the command MagellanStartup being executed by the usersetup.mel.

If the 3DxMaya plug-in is installed but you are not seeing navigation in Maya , type "MagellanStartup" [ without the quotes ] at the Maya command line.This will either enable navigation or generate an error that will let us know what the problem is."MagellanStartup" is case-sensitive.

If navigation starts when you type "MagellanStartup" at the command prompt but is not auto-starting, that would indicate that another instance of usersetup.mel is being used. When another script is installed it can overwrite the 3Dconnexion usersetup.mel.To have the 3DxMaya plug-in auto-start you will need to add the MagellanStartup; line to the end of the active usersetup.mel

You can locate any other copies of usersetup.mel you have using Finder. If you have other scripts or add-ins such as Maya's Bonus Tools or GoZ , they add their own usersetup.mel files. Open the usersetup.mel in maya|scripts|startup and add the line MagellanStartup; at the end.

Maya only checks for the scripts on startup, so you can restart Maya or type "rehash;"

If typing “MagellanStartup” [without quotes] at the Maya command line returns an error, check that you are using the current 3DxMacware software and if not , download it from from our web site under Service –Download Driver. [http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/downloads.php].

If you are already using the current version, close Maya and run the 3Dconnexion .dmg again to install the plugin. Open Maya and go to Window->Settings|Preferences->Plug-In Manager to check that 3DxMaya.bundle is loaded

If you are still seeing a problem please let us know whether MagellanStartup enables navigation and which other scripts or add-ins are in use.

Open Maya and go to Window->Settings|Preferences->Plug-In Manager to check that 3DxMaya.bundle is loaded If you are still not able to load the plugin , in Maya go to Window->Settings/Preferences->Plug-In Manager and check that 3DxMaya.bundle is loaded If it is not, check that the files are in the correct folders:

Confirm the plug-in 3DxMaya.bundle is in Users-->Shared-->Autodesk-->maya-->2014-->plug-ins

Confirm these files are in Users-->Shared-->Autodesk-->maya-->scripts C3DxButtonEditor.mel

If typing “MagellanStartup” [without quotes] at the Maya command line returns an error: "3DxMaya.bundle" was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH , it indicates the plug-in is either not installed or not installed in the correct folders.
jamessawle

Post by jamessawle »

Typed MagellanStartup and get:

// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "MagellanStartup".

I have already reinstalled the 3DxWareMac 10.0.11 now 6 times and still not doing anything! But have tried again and even rebooted and still nothing (7 times now)

These machines are clean and not got any other plugins on them, fresh installs of Maya and the 3DxWareMac 10.0.11 and literally nothing else.

Both Plugins folder and scripts folder that you have supplied do not exist, and before you say reinstall Maya we have on a separate system to also test and still nothing!

Any ideas, or do we just return these?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi jamessawle ,

It seem there's an issue with the Maya plug-in on your system. We're still trying to confirm but it may be that we are making an wrong assumption about a folder location. We will be following up when we know more.

Sorry about this.
jamessawle

Post by jamessawle »

I will have to return all 4 units by Friday to make sure that we are not charged a restocking fee, can you please let me know before then.

James
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi,

I will contact you directly to clarify the situation.
jamessawle

Post by jamessawle »

Just saying thanks for the help, got all 4 systems running this weekend, just now trying to get to grips with the cutomizing of the keys.

Cheers

James
shawnwytch

Post by shawnwytch »

Im having this same problem can someone tell me what u did.
i didnt have
Users-->Shared-->Autodesk-->maya-->2014-->plug-ins

I have

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/modules/maya/2014

Ive tried everything nothing is working.
Ive been on the phone with your technician deb all day.
she was very nice you guys have great services.

seems to be working everthing else just not maya. Strange im on maya 2014
ive been playing around with this for hours.

is there a way to teamviewer my pc so u can take control of my mac?
or skype?

my number is ***-***-****
email *******@*****.com
thank u in advance

/** admin edit: removing contact data to keep the privacy **/
jamessawle

Post by jamessawle »

You need to get in contact with UtaSH on this forum, he must work for them, he sent me the files and then I installed as per his instructions and then everything was OK.

He is probably a little busy programming his new iPhone 5S - Joking!!!!

I am not sure if it is my place to send you the same files, but if you don't hear from him soon I will forward the e-mails that I got, and hopefully this will help you out as it did for me.

james
shawnwytch

Post by shawnwytch »

i got the email also i put the files in every folder and still nothing
these are the addresses i got

// Result: /Users/shawnwytch/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2014-x64/plug-ins:/Users/shawnwytch/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins:/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2014/plug-ins:/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins:/Applications/Autodesk/maya2014/Maya.app/Contents/MacOS/plug-ins:/Applications/Autodesk/mentalrayForMaya2014/plug-ins:/Applications/Autodesk/maya2014/substance/plug-ins:/Applications/Autodesk/maya2014/plug-ins/xgen/plug-ins

the library folders i dont know for sure if maya is looking in them because the library folders are normally hidden on osx so it may or may not be able to look there.
im a new mac user is there any way i can skype or teamviewer so u guys can take over my system?

im over here almost pullin my hair out lol
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello shawnwytch,

some of our customers report a different installation folder for Maya 2014, but the installation does not yet take this into account. We are working on a fix and I expect this to be in the next release.

I will contact you shortly via email and send you the needed files.