No Google earth support? DECEPTIVE

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ettore

Re: Deceptive Indeed

Post by ettore »

ricardopicam wrote:I, too, did not see anyplace on the Web site where it said that the Mac version was not compatible with Google Earth. Just received my unit today and thought that something was wrong with my system. While I don't think that you meant to be deceptive, you do your customers a disservice by not posting this glaring limitation prominently on the Web site. You need to post something like, "Google Earth for Mac Support Coming."
Ricardo, you are absolutely right. I reported this website issue, hopefully it will be fixed. We are sorry for that. The cause is not deception at all, Mac OS X is the most recent platform for us and I guess we are having a... website bug.
ettore

Post by ettore »

tutt wrote:One question for those of you that saw it at MacWorld in January...was it running on a Mac using BootCamp or Parallels but actually in XP???
It was *not* XP. :wink:
ettore

Re: network connection and tdxInit OK. clientid=8197

Post by ettore »

JohnK2 wrote:When the 3DxSketchup Plugin initializes
and I get the message 'tdxInit OK. clientid=8197' it works,
if I don't get the message it will not work.
That's fine. The message is logged by the plugin. If you don't see the message at all, the plugin was not loaded. If you see it but the initialization results *not* OK (0), the plugin is loaded but was unable to initialize the device (i.e. device won't work).

From what I can see from the logs, the plug is loaded in both cases but in the "not working" case the plugin didn't register correctly with the driver. In fact, the line:
JohnK2 wrote:tdxInit OK. clientid=8197
is missing in the 1st case.
JohnK2 wrote:Does the 3DSketchup Plugin require an open network connection?
No.
We tested the plugin behind various firewalls and never had this kind of problems, even with no network. There is really no need in the SketchUp plug-in for an internet connection.
dvmorris

Post by dvmorris »

I just received mine tonight, and I'm terribly sad that it doesn't work with Google Earth on OS X. It should be advertised on the site. This is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to read through this whole forum post to learn about this kind of stuff.
prune

Re: No Google earth support? DECEPTIVE

Post by prune »

HAHAHAHA

I'm happy (meaning SAD) people still complain about the product 5 years after the last post in this thread.
This product was the best user fur wrapping of all times !! (after the whole microsoft windows series)...

:)
--
Prune
ngomes

Re:

Post by ngomes »

Hi dvmorris,
I just received mine tonight, and I'm terribly sad that it doesn't work with Google Earth on OS X.
Somewhere along the line (GE v. 6.2), GE does not have 3D mouse support enabled by default. We very much regret the inconvenience this issue is causing our customers, users of Google Earth. 3Dconnexion is working with Google to resolve the regression.

To enable 3D mouse support in Google Earth, open the application and go to the "Tools" menu, Options, Navigation and set the option "Enable Controller".
bisenberger

Post by bisenberger »

Navigation in Google Earth is pretty clunky with the SpaceNavigator.
I'm running GE version 7 and for the SpaceNavigator drivers version 3.16.2.
Windows 7 64bit

Are there any recommended settings to improve SpaceNavigator navigation in GE?
jwick

Post by jwick »

bisenberger wrote:Navigation in Google Earth is pretty clunky with the SpaceNavigator.
I'm running GE version 7 and for the SpaceNavigator drivers version 3.16.2.
Windows 7 64bit

Are there any recommended settings to improve SpaceNavigator navigation in GE?
I just tried it in 7.0.2.8415. It works very well. I have a very fast pipe though. Usually stickiness is caused by the network connection with GE trying to download everything under the sun. I'd start by turning off 3D buildings if you have connectivity issues.

To determine if it is the device or the driver, run the 3Dx cube demo. It uses the same mechanism to communicate with the driver that GE uses. If it is smooth GE should be smooth. If not, then you have a different problem.