SpaceNav used to work on my Mac in SL, now doesn't

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Grizzla

SpaceNav used to work on my Mac in SL, now doesn't

Post by Grizzla »

Don't know what happened. SpaceNavigator worked beautifully for many months in Second Life on my Mac, then one day it became deranged.

Now, when I move the Navigator forward, my av squats or flies down; when I pull it back, she flies.
Pull it up, she walks forward; press it down and she turns around and walks backward.
Tilting moves the cam over her head.
Twisting does nothing; I can't find a way to make her turn right or left.

I've tried changing the preferences, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've gone through the Mac's inner libraries and deleted all SpaceNav-related preferences etc. that I could find, and reinstalled again.

I thought maybe the thing had just broken - but then I borrowed one from a friend and it does the same thing.

Where can I look, what should I delete, to get the SpaceNav to move in the directions I've tried to set the preferences?

Grizzla
Virtually assisting
Bryan

Navigator Motion Settings

Post by Bryan »

Dear Grizzla,

In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel, you would want to double check your settings under the Advanced Settings Tab, to make sure all your motions are enabled, not reversed, speed correct.

Under the 'Device Configuration' Tab, you may want to
experiment with your zoom directions.

Under the 'App Configuration' Tab, you would want to make sure Dominant is unchecked. There is another 'Reverse All Axes' Button you can experiment with there.

Other than that, you want to check your Second Life Settings.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Grizzla

Post by Grizzla »

Hi Bryan - Thanks for your reply, altho' I haven't made any progress by going through those steps again.

All motions are enabled in the Advanced Settings tab (as they were previously) with nothing reversed.

In Device Configuration, nothing changes when I select the non-default zoom direction.

In App Configuration, Dominant has been unchecked - but also, nothing changes when I check it. When I select "Reverse All Axes," also nothing changes.

In my SL settings, Preferences > Move & View > Other Devices, it shows SpaceNavigator enabled as the "joystick," and it's all set to SpaceNavigator defaults.

Again, I would think that maybe my own SpaceNav was broken, but the same things happen when I plug in my friend's SpaceNav. And it's bizarre that it worked fine for a long time and then for no apparent reason reversed the up/down, forward/backward directions.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks -
Grizzla
Virtually assisting
Bryan

Second Life Settings

Post by Bryan »

Dear Grizzla,
I would have to say if none of the settings in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel seem to affect any motion, then all your settings are being handled by the Second Life driver. You'd want to contact them as to what settings got changed and what you need to change them back to.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Emileigh Starbrook

Same thing happening to a friend

Post by Emileigh Starbrook »

My friend wanted to use her Space Navigator for Google Earth, and couldn't get it to work with 1.6.2. I suggested that she upgrade the Space Navigator (MAC OSX) driver to the latest version (1.6.3) which she did, and it worked great for Google Earth but X-axis and Z-axis were switched in Second Life.

When she downgraded the driver to 1.6.2, it worked in SL just fine.

In the Second Life preferences you can change which axis affects which SN direction. By default the X-Axis is set to 0 and the Z-axis is 1, so if they are mapped incorectly you can set X to 1 and Z to 0.
alanfleming

You need to set the joystick axes in SL prefs

Post by alanfleming »

Grazzla: for some reason the SL client has changed the way it interacts with the SpaceNavigator, and you need to reset the axes.

I'm not at my computer right now, but it's pretty simple: in the joystick settings, the row of axes should be 0,1,2,3,4,5 in order left to right top to bottom (it may be 1,2,3,4,5,0 - check which works)

If like me you prefer to push forward to walk you'll need to reverse the direction by making the setting and sensitivity for that axis negative - left hand column, it's about half-way down. I set mine to -0.3 from 1, in order to stop it being over-sensitive and therefore running all the time if I pushed too hard.