Legacy System Extension warning on macOS 10.15.4

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

sdaitzman

Legacy System Extension warning on macOS 10.15.4

Post by sdaitzman »

Since updating to macOS 10.15.4 I get a big warning that says "Legacy System Extension." The body reads, "Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by “3Dconnexion S.A.M.” which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support."

Will 3DConnexion's 3D mouse drivers be updated to continue allowing me to use my produce with the next version of macOS, which will move from a kernel extension model to a new framework called DriverKit?
UtaSH

Re: Legacy System Extension warning on macOS 10.15.4

Post by UtaSH »

Hello sdaitzman,

which driver version do you have installed on your macOS?
blaiseb@mac.com

Post by blaiseb@mac.com »

I get the same warning.

I have Mac OS 10,15,5 installed and the driver version is:
3DxWare 10
3DxWareCore version 1.1.0
3DxWare version 10.6.1

Please make sure it still works after the next update. I grew very dependant on my Space mouse!

Thanks!

- Blaise
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Current driver version is 10.6.5

https://www.3dconnexion.de/service/drivers.html
iso

Post by iso »

I'm on macOS 10.15.5

And I have the 10.6.5 driver, so I'm current

And I got the legacy warning message this morning...

Also, I've noticed a lot of crashes on my brand-new MacBook Pro. After I stopped plugging in the SpaceMouse Enterprise, the crashes stopped...

CadMouse hasn't been causing crashes.

Would love to see the driver updated soon to also enable the LCD on the SpaceMouse...
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi iso,

the warning is not an error - just a warning and should not cause any crashes.

Can you determine what exactly crashes? The driver or one of your applications? Do you have crash files from these crashes?
Katkov

Post by Katkov »

I have the same warning. System Extension must be updated.

macOS Catalina 10.15.5
3DxMacCore 1.1.4
3DxWare 10.6.5

It seems, that without major update all of 3Dx will stop working after update to macOS Big Sur.
iso

Post by iso »

Hi UtaSH, sorry for the late reply. I noticed that if the MBP went to sleep for an extended amount of time it would crash and reboot while I was away. Sorry I don't have logs, I think it was just showing kernel panics... nothing specifically about the SME either.
Chreas

Post by Chreas »

Is there any concrete information available for this issue? Are the drivers updated for macOS Big Sur and what is the timeline? I understand that this is currently only a warning, but in about 3 months the new OS will be released and if I understand correctly, the 3D Connexion devices will not work with the currently available drivers?
Anovelli

Post by Anovelli »

I have a brand new MacBook Pro with all current drivers, and have been plagued by the sleep/crashes since I got it... though I can't pinpoint that they started when I installed the 3DC drivers. I have an open ticket with Apple engineers and they want to confirm their suspicion that it's this extension/driver that is causing the problem. I am also having video artifacting in Microsoft Teams and anything Flash related in Chrome. Probably unrelated, though I have the upgraded video card etc. Also due to the need to convert to USB-C/Thunderbolt I am using an OWC Thunderbolt dock for connectivity, or alternately, and Apple-supplied USB connecter.

I have a crash report from today that I can share but not posting in the forum. Please contact me and I will forward.

Thank you,
Tony Novelli

P.S. Yes, all latest drives and system software, though hesitating on further OS updates until I resolve this issue.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Anovelli,

thanks for the crash reports. We will contact you later today to get them.
TrashPanda

Post by TrashPanda »

I wanted to check in on the status of this issue as well. I have driver 10.6.4 and I feel like the clock is ticking on this with Big Sur looming in a couple of months.
Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by “3Dconnexion S.A.M.” which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support

If Big Sur doesn't support the extension, what happens if we try to use our SpaceNavigator?

Thanks,
Panda
jbishop129

Post by jbishop129 »

This raises a serious problem for 3D Connexion users. I am a developer running Big Sur Beta 3, and the kernel extension causes the OS to fail to boot. Big warning to anyone out there interested in testing or developing with macOS Big Sur, if you have the 3D Connexion kernel extension loaded (ie, you have the driver installed), it WILL cause your computer to hang up on startup after you do the upgrade.

So, 3D Connexion - what is the future for macOS users of your products? I was just about to buy a bluetooth Space Mouse to replace my currently USB wired one (which I've been happily using for more than 10 years!), but finding that it may be EOL, I'm holding off.

For those who did upgrade to Big Sur and have found this post because your computer wont boot..!! Here's how you can fix it:
* boot in to Safe Mode (power off your Mac, hold the Shift key while powering it on. keep holding shift until you see the logon)
* Confirm the kernel extension is loaded: in terminal, run

Code: Select all

kextfind
and you should see towards the bottom of the list,

/Library/Extensions/3Dconnexion.kext
* Move the kernel extension to another folder:

sudo mkdir /Library/DisabledExtensions
then

sudo mv /Library/Extensions/3Dconnexion.kext /Library/DisabledExtensions
* Reboot, and you should be back in business. Of course, your Space Mouse wont work, but at least you have your computer back :)
kr15_uk

Post by kr15_uk »

Just a quick update on this.
BigSur Public Beta seems to be ok with this, still legacy extension and 3DMouse doesn't work but at least doesn't kill whole OS.
Although this was clean install not an upgrade and only one machine tested (Beta 2 and Beta 3 on clean install killed the boot though).