SpaceNavigator not working in Google Earth Pro on Mojave

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

tymcat

SpaceNavigator not working in Google Earth Pro on Mojave

Post by tymcat »

I used Google Earth a lot under Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and remember that from a certain moment I had to reinstall an older version of the 3Dconnexion tools. I recently upgraded to a Retina MBP and OS Mojave to continue working in Rhino.
The Space Navigator works well with Rhino, using 3Dconnexion software 10.6.
No acceptation request in System prefs was triggered.
The 3D mouse is not visible in the System information under Hardware/USB. Nor is my Wacom tablet, which always cooperated well with 3Dconnexion.
In Google Earth Pro 7.3 the navigation doesn't work, the buttons show some reaction.

I will try older versions of 3Dc tools. Anything else I can do?
UtaSH

Re: SpaceNavigator not working in Google Earth Pro on Mojave

Post by UtaSH »

Hello tymcat,

did you upgrade a previous version of macOS to Mojave? Or are you now on a completely new system? When case you upgrade and the 3Dconnexion driver had been installed on that machine before then you won't be asked to allow the kernel extension.

Have you verified if the kernel extension is running? (See here.)

For further troubleshooting please contact our Technical Support Team.
boomer

Post by boomer »

The Mojave support is FAR worse. I can get the mouse to be recognized in Mojave. Problem is that NONE of the controls work correctly. Even with the demo models provided by 3DX, the darned 3D mouse conflict with the standard mouse on the system and does not work correctly. That's right 3D connexion, NONE of the 3D motion works correctly. Even manually changing settings does not work. If 3DX cannot get their own driver for their own support to work correctly, what chance does a developer for other software have?

Frankly this is the end of the 3D mouse from these guys for me.I had purchased two dozen of thee things for my engineering department and this constant pile of issues every time the OS changes or CAD program is updated is about to end. Yes my users will be upset, but this downtime from a lack of productivity has me at wits end. This is suppose to be a professional company that supports professional users. Not even close.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Boomer,

I am sorry that you are disapointed about the possibilities with Mojave. But please keep in mind that these issues occured because Apple has tightened the security conditions for kernel extensions from 3rd party developers.

Did you try if removing the existing settings changes the situation? It may be - for some strange reasons - that the com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist file is messed up. So please try remove it (you may want to have it backed up before!) from ~/Library/Preferences/. (Please note: Before removal, close the System Preferences and thus the 3Dconnexion prefs.) If you now reopen the 3dconnexion prefs, a new/clean com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist is created. The mappings should work right away.