Lock Horizon in Blender

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Firebert85

Lock Horizon in Blender

Post by Firebert85 »

(Using a SpacePilot Enterprise)

In Blender,
Anyone else have the issue where, despite pressing the Menu button, and ticking "Horizon Lock," you can still roll left/right?
JJones

Re: Lock Horizon in Blender

Post by JJones »

You have to enter Fly or Walk mode for the Horizon Lock to have any effect. View->Navigation->Fly
Shortcut: Shift+F ( or in Blender2.8: Shift+` )

This tricked me as well... and I really want the option to not roll during normal navigation.
I see where I can change the code.... I'll try adding the option myself ( maybe just the ability to lockthe roll, or set sensitivity for pitch, yaw and roll independently )?
JJones

Use Turntable option Re: Lock Horizon in Blender

Post by JJones »

In addition to my other message ( re: the Horizon lock only applies to fly and walk navigation ) I looked through the code further and there is an equivalent mode for normal navigation: Using the 3DConnexions device's menu button to call up the pop-up menu; choose Trackball->Turntable.
pfschuyler

Post by pfschuyler »

I'm having the same issue. Note to 3dconnexion:

WE LOVE YOUR SPACE PILOT DEVICES. BUT IN ALL SOFTWARE THERE SHOULD BE AN OPTION TO NAVIGATE WITHOUT ROLL (i.e. Lock the horizon). I've found over the years that it's hit or miss. Love it in Sketchup. Now I'm on to Blender and despite messing with every conceivable option I cannot get it to stop rolling. Makes is very difficult to use with the roll constantly there.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Cinema 4D has also no lock horizon.
Drives me crazy too.
Japi

Re: Use Turntable option Re: Lock Horizon in Blender

Post by Japi »

JJones wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pm In addition to my other message ( re: the Horizon lock only applies to fly and walk navigation ) I looked through the code further and there is an equivalent mode for normal navigation: Using the 3DConnexions device's menu button to call up the pop-up menu; choose Trackball->Turntable.
This kinda helps.

Is there btw any keyboard shortcut to straighten the view (if your horizon is not straight)? For example if I use the "Trackball"-mode to do some modeling and then move to "Turntable"-mode, it wont straighten the horizon (but it will just lock the horizon to the current position). For example I use on another application, and that one will straighten the horizon (not lock it to the current position).

And also is it possible to add a keyboard shortcut for the "Trackball" and "Turntable"-modes? It would be faster to change the mode with keyboard shortcuts.