Simple Sketchup Question (I think)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

robotfist

Simple Sketchup Question (I think)

Post by robotfist »

I am new to 3D modeling programs and am starting with Sketchup. I have a 3D Connexion mouse. I believe I understand the concept of the "Object" and "Camera" views in the Sketchup/3D Connection menus. What I don't understand is how to rotate the actual object itself inside the landscape. Right now, when I am in "Object Mode", the entire landscape rotates with the object. When I am in "Camera Mode" I am rotating the camera's POV. As it stands, when I select the actual object on the Sketchup canvas and then select the "Move" tool or the "Rotate" tool in the Sketchup tool bar, it seems like I should then be able to rotate the object itself with the 3D Connexion mouse. But the mouse continues to just rotate the entire landscape with the object. I just want to be able to rotate and move the object itself and have the landscape remain static. Is this possible? It seems like I am missing something very simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
UtaSH

Re: Simple Sketchup Question (I think)

Post by UtaSH »

Hi robotfist,

you are not missing something. "Single part movement" is not available in SketchUp.
robotfist

Post by robotfist »

Wow. Ok.

I guess I'll be returning it then. The SpaceNavigator is not of much use to me then if all I can do is rotate the canvas. That lone, single feature is not worth the $100.

Thank you for your response.
robotfist

Post by robotfist »

Oh, and in case anyone else is searching this forum looking for a similar answer to this question, I was using the latest 3Dconnexion 3DX-700028 SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse with Sketchup 2018 on a Mac.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Sorry for the late post, I only just came across this topic.

At heart of your problem is a misunderstanding of both how SketchUp works and how the SN integrates with SketchUp.

Regarding the latter, the SN just moves the camera (it does not affect the cursor). The difference between "camera" and "object" modes is the intuitive notion of what you are "grasping" via the SN. In camera mode, the motion is as if you are holding the camera and moving it around the model. In object mode, the motion is as if you are grasping the model contents and moving them in front of the camera. Again, both modes are actually moving the camera, it is just the perception you get based on **how** the camera moves in response to the SN.

Regarding the former, the landscape (I'm assuming you mean the sky and ground displays, though this is equally true if you have imported terrain) is tied to the model's coordinate space just as the other geometry that you draw. When you move the camera using the SN, you are just looking at this combined content from a different direction and/or scale. The same is true if you use SketchUp's native orbit and pan tools. If you want to change the orientation of some portion of the model relative to the rest, you have to select that content, activate the move or rotate tool (or some other SketchUp tool), and then you can do the manipulation using the cursor.

I have mixed feelings about whether it would be a good thing if there was a mode in which the SN took control of the cursor not the camera. I fear it might be confusing, but I'll admit that with no ability to try it out I am not sure.