New Spacemouse Wireless not working correctly

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

UtaSH

Re: New Spacemouse Wireless not working correctly

Post by UtaSH »

Hi danshaw19,

do you have a SpaceMouse Wireless?

What is the version of the installed driver?

Did you enable the kernel extension as requested in FAQ #1127?

Did you test the 3D mouse with the 3Dconnexion Viewer?

Which application do you want to use the device with?
marckitect

Post by marckitect »

I have the same problem.

I have a SpaceMouse wireless. The installed version is 10.5.3. The kernel extension was enabled as prompted at installation as per faq 1127. The mouse was tested with the viewer and nothing happened except that the geometry was highlighted. I intend to use the mouse with Sketchup Pro, but no configuration has been attempted since the tool window says that no device is found. The extension in About this Mac says that it is NOT loaded. I am using OS 10.13.6.

How do I reload correctly?
perryf

Post by perryf »

Hi I am having the same issue, I have checked the System Information and looked in software and it is present but not 'loaded' ? What can I do to resolve this issue?

Thanks
marckitect

Post by marckitect »

I answered my own unposted reply saying I have the same problem after installing the driver and permitting the kern to install at the prompt. My solution was similar to one posted but not completely. It may be the difference between different OS updates. I am running OS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Go to System Preferences and open "Security & Privacy".

Partway down, identify "Some system software blocked from loading".

Click on the "Allow..." button.

Scroll through blocked software list. Check the box for 3D Connexion.

Click "OK".

Restart.

After logging in, check the Extensions menu in the Software Systems Report of "About this Mac".

The "Loaded" status for 3D Connexion should now say "yes".

My SpaceMouse is now working and I am delighted with early results. I look forward to learning its capabilities.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

perryf wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 am Hi I am having the same issue, I have checked the System Information and looked in software and it is present but not 'loaded' ? What can I do to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Please contact our Technical Support Team.
perryf

Post by perryf »

Already contacted them, vague non helpful response!
Sadly sent the item back for refund as now it is also making my system crash due to memory leak when using SketchUp!!
Very poor software/driver has ruined what looked like a very good piece of kit!
maz3d

Post by maz3d »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had the same issue and there was a simple fix.
I was trying to use SpaceMouse Pro on my Mac (High Sierra - 10.13) with 3dWare10 (10.5.3).
Having installed the spacemouse driver and overcome security issue by allowing the extension to run, I thought everything was good to go..
But it just didn't work and the mouse wasn't found in 3dWare10 despite showing up in the USB devices list. I was able to move the cursor and click but nothing else.

How did I solve the issue? I uninstalled 3dWare10 - 10.5.3 and installed earlier version 10.4.4. Worked like a charm!!
menos

Post by menos »

It is now a looooooong time after my initial contact with support about the Spacemouse wireless not working as intended on MacOS.

The exact same problem still persists to this day (a couple of driver releases later, a couple of MacBook Pro machines later, a couple of MacOS releases later, a couple of years later).

The situation is pretty sad really.

In order for the Spacemouse to be registered properly I have to unplug and re-plug the wireless receiver every single time I want to use the Spacemouse.
Another method to use the space mouse is to keep it connected via its USB cable.

Both methods entirely defeat the purpose of buying a wireless version of the Spacemouse to begin with and I do under no circumstances recommend this product to anyone as of the hassle involved to use it.

If anyone stumbles into this thread, trying to decide if they should buy a wireless Spacemouse - DON'T! Get yourself a wired version but do make sure to search this forum thoroughly for any potential driver related problems for the particular model you are looking into (watch for the timelines particularly - if you rely on such a device for project work a response time of weeks, months or even years to wait for a fix is simply unquestionably not adequate).

Another major issue I am having with my Spacemouse is that the horrendous rubberized coating of the plastic surfaces does become gooey as the Spacemouse ages and is impossible to clean - the material choices here are really not ideal and are a far cry from the super rock solid surface materials used on the Spacemouse devices I started out with in the late 1990's (those were SOLID compared to the flimsy devices of today).

If you can live in CAx work WITHOUT a Spacemouse (I do not unfortunately), avoid getting a Spacemouse, especially if you work in a Mac environment as 3Dcon seems to have troubles making their drivers work properly on the Mac platform.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi menos,

did you install the latest driver? The current version for macOS is 10.6.5. I thought that the issue is fixed in 10.6.5.