64-bit support for Snow Leopard?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

aderolee

Post by aderolee »

I have a Win 7 64 bit can this run on my PC I am looking for the answers since a long time, if it will be supported then only I will be buying this.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello aderolee,

our current driver supports Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit). The latest driver supports all latest 3D mouse models.
kutter

Post by kutter »

HI All,

Just curious if anyone is having issues with installing the 64bit (latest version,1.6.0) .DMG under Snow leopard 10.6.3. Upon double clicking the
DMG file it says "not unrecognized" and exits. I D/L'ed it with 3 differant Macs
and a windows box (4 times). So there's no file corruption that i can tell of and highly unlikely as everything else I've downloaded has worked fine. Tech support said they thought maybe that (my D/L) was the cause and that they tested it on a G4 mac with and older version of Leopard and it worked fine.
No go here, even tred booting into "64" mode. extensions enabled...
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff

3 space navigators, 1 spacepilot
MacPro 2009
Imac 2009
Macbook Pro 2009
All snow leopard 10.6.3
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi kutter,

did you try different browsers?
kutter

Post by kutter »

Thanks for the reply.

I used Firefox on the 3 Macs, and IE on the Windows 7 machine. No firewalls
or virus software. I even tried repairing the DMG's with macs disk utility with no
positive results. Earlier versions D/L and install fine. I'm thinking it may be something with Snow leopard 10.6.3.... Dunno...

Thanks,
Jeff
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Jeff,

I'll work on a possibility for you to download the driver from somewhere else (ftp). I'll let you know when I have it.
kutter

Post by kutter »

Thanks Uta. I appreciate it.
Regards,
Jeff
kutter

Post by kutter »

HI All,

I'm still having the same issue on all 3 Mac's. I waited for 1.6.1 to see
if it would install. Any help would be great.

Thanks Jeff

HI All,

Just curious if anyone is having issues with installing the 64bit (latest version,1.6.0) .DMG under Snow leopard 10.6.3. Upon double clicking the
DMG file it says "not unrecognized" and exits. I D/L'ed it with 3 differant Macs
and a windows box (4 times). So there's no file corruption that i can tell of and highly unlikely as everything else I've downloaded has worked fine. Tech support said they thought maybe that (my D/L) was the cause and that they tested it on a G4 mac with and older version of Leopard and it worked fine.
No go here, even tred booting into "64" mode. extensions enabled...
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff

3 space navigators, 1 spacepilot
MacPro 2009
Imac 2009
Macbook Pro 2009
All snow leopard 10.6.3
dan308

Post by dan308 »

So October of 2009 the moderator says to "be patient and check back soon for a 64bit driver for Mac." 15 months later...

Just burned up hundreds of dollars on a bunch of Navigators for for the studio (mail order) and now we all have cool blue-glowing $100 paper weights. Confirmed Mac support, and bought them without checking to make sure we wouldn't have to down-grade our OS by a year and a half to use them... :evil:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

dan308,

our latest driver for Mac (version 1.6.2) works with both 32 and 64bit machines. What application do you want to use the 3D mouse with?
dan308

Post by dan308 »

?
We boot the 64bit OS. Even launching the 3D mouse prefs requires relaunching the preference pane in 32bit mode. The 3D mouse is dead in both Cinema 4D, and Google Earth (the two apps we need).

Maybe you could tell me where exactly it will work in 64bit Mac OS because I haven't seen a sign of life anywhere...?
dan308

Post by dan308 »

Just another quick note.
Unless, I'm doing something wrong in which case I'll owe you an apology...

Saying that these work "on 64 bit machines" is completely misleading if those 64bit machines have to be running a 32bit OS for it to work (especially when the 64bit OS has been around for nearly two years)...and yes, I'm running the newest (and only) Mac Driver you have on your site—outside of the legacy products area.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hm. For Google Earth the SpaceNavigator should work just without any special settings. For Cinema4D this article from our FAQs applies for MAC, too. Are you aware of this?

Does the cube demo work? Or the "3Dx Axis" tool?
dan308

Post by dan308 »

Hi. Thanks, but yes, I am aware of that. It works fine in 32bit mode. Boot into the 64bit OS and it's a brick. No, the demos do not work.

Can you decisively say that 3D Connexion has tested these running a 64bit OS on Mac? If you could at least make that clear, I'd be willing to continue to look for solutions. As I've said the blue light is the ONLY sign of life I've seen from these while running a 64bit OS.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi Dan,

The symptom you describe of having to reopen the 3Dconnexion pref pane again in 32bit mode indicates that the latest driver is not installed on your machine. We had this problem about a year ago before we released our 64bit support.

If you don't mind, let's start by uninstalling the current driver on your machine -> Applications/Utilities/Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.app. Once the driver is removed, please delete all the saved settings files in ~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion*. Warning - this last step will remove any custom settings you have. Please remember the settings if you want to restore them.

I know you said you have the latest driver already but please re-download it again from our web site. You should have v1.6.2. Go ahead and install it.

Which OS X are you running btw. Sorry if I missed that information from the thread below.

I run OS X 10.6.x on a Mac Pro in 64bit mode. The system automatically boots into 64bit mode by setting Kernel Flags arch=x86_64 in com.apple.Boot.plist (doing it through nvram is possible too). This is my day-to-day machine. I also tested Cinema 4D R11 on it with no issues.