Space Navigator, Mac OS Snow Leopard & Maya

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mikehancock

Space Navigator, Mac OS Snow Leopard & Maya

Post by mikehancock »

Just upgraded to Snow Leopard and cannot zoom, pan or twist using Maya with my Space Navigator PE. Buttons work fine. Not sure what to do about this. The navigator icon still shows up in Maya, so its loading the driver.

Anyone??

Thanks,
Mike
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi Mike,

Do the demos work?
Robert Stadie
mikehancock

Post by mikehancock »

Yes the demos work. It is fixed now though. I had to reinstall the driver and all is ok.

Side note though is that I reverted back to OS X 10.5.8 prior to Snow Leopard because of MySQL issues.

This issue can be closed...

Thanks,
Mike
guayabeiro

maya Mac OS

Post by guayabeiro »

i've just got my space explorer and i just cant get it wo work right with my MAC.
My O. S. Mac snow leopard, i've installed all my drivers 25 times in this day and i cant' still get it to work. The demos, the cube and the 3D Axis, work, but when i get to maya there is the 3dconnexion button on top but only the customized buttons work but the joystick doesn't work at all.
and i've allready installed the latest 3dmacware version
what do i need to do?
nanozen

snow leopard

Post by nanozen »

I just buy 3D connexion for laptop.
This one does not support Snow Leopard.
Even the demo did not work.
I feel really bad, because this is my birthday present.
UtaSH

Re: maya Mac OS

Post by UtaSH »

guayabeiro wrote:... but only the customized buttons work but the joystick doesn't work at all.
and i've allready installed the latest 3dmacware version
what do i need to do?
Hi guayabeiro,

please check if you have these files in the Contents -> scripts -> startup subfolder of your Maya applications folder:
  • 3DxCube.xpm
    magellanButtonEditor.mel
    MagellanStartup.mel
    usersetup.mel*
In the usersetup.mel you should find the line
  • MagellanStartup
UtaSH

Re: snow leopard

Post by UtaSH »

nanozen wrote:I just buy 3D connexion for laptop.
This one does not support Snow Leopard.
Even the demo did not work.
I feel really bad, because this is my birthday present.
Hi nanozen,

What model of the 3D mouse did you purchase exactly? What is the serial number/PID number?

Is your OS running in 64bit mode? You can check this by opening the System profiler, then choosing "Software" on the left and check if "64-bit Kernel and Extensions" says "Yes".
SpacyRicochet

Post by SpacyRicochet »

There should be some kind of sticky which gives all steps to perform while trying to get the SpaceNavigator to work with Maya (2009 or otherwise) on OSX.
At the moment all the information is spread out over a bazillion posts, and that gets confusing.

My Maya 2009 is rather temperamental about accepting the SpaceNavigator input or not. Sometimes it works fine, but mostly it doesn't do anything.

I have tried typing "MagellanStartup;" in the MEL command line and while it does not give an error message, there is no console output either.

I have repeatedly installed the plugins again, through the 3DConnexxion configuration screen. This didn't help either.

Moving all the script files from Users>Shared>Autodesk>maya>scripts to Users>Shared>Autodesk>maya>2009>scripts didn't work either.

Now, after moving them back to their original position and starting Maya, it seems to work again. However, I have no hope for it to work consistently over another startup. What should be the correct way of setting up the SpaceNavigator? A large list of 'this is how it should be, and if it's not, you should try it before making another forum thread' would be great.