Q about SpacePilot PRO driver degradation for Mac OS X

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

bromayn

Q about SpacePilot PRO driver degradation for Mac OS X

Post by bromayn »

I am interested in the SpacePilot PRO for use on a dedicated XP box for SolidWorks, but on the occasion that I decide to use it on my Macbook Pro (preferred platform) I understand the driver is not supported.

Is there any functionality at all in this case? Will it at least run as the supported SpaceExplorer. If it will do at least that I might be able to justify the cost (between the two production machines) but otherwise I may have to stick with getting an actual, presumably supported, SpaceExplorer.

Extra Credit: Any news of the SpacePilot PRO working in a Parallels VM install of XP (on a Mac) ? If it worked that way at least I might be able to swing it without seething in deep resentment like the rest of the Mac whiners on here.

I'd offer to write the driver myself but *hahahah*. I can't do that with a straight face, sorry, it cracks me up everytime I read that on here.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

You are correct about the SpacePilot PRO not being officially supported on the Mac. It will not function like a SpaceExplorer.

We have customers who say they have been successful in running our 3D mice with Parallels. I personally have not tried this with SpacePilot PRO so I can't guarantee the experience. I have used a SpaceExplorer with Parallels about a year ago and it worked fine.