Uhh, Photoshop CS4 extended

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

iggy

Uhh, Photoshop CS4 extended

Post by iggy »

I'm thinking maybe no one responded to my last post because I didn't mention it was in reference to CS4 photoshop EXTENDED. My spacenavigator works but erratically bounces the object around. I've turned the controls down to the lowest level but it hasn't helped. Am I the only person using this device with this program? Go ahead, you can admit it! Photoshop may be a low level program in the 3D world now, but I think it has an important-growing role. Unfortunately Adobe's "gizmo" is over designed and a pain. Being able to use the Spacenavigator with CS4 extended, with the same ease I do in Vue 7 and Poser Pro, would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi Iggy,

Does your SpaceNavigator work as expected with the demos or other applications?
Robert Stadie
iggy

Post by iggy »

rstadie wrote:Hi Iggy,

Does your SpaceNavigator work as expected with the demos or other applications?
It seems to work best with Poser Pro. With Vue 7 it occasionally stops working or flies off. In Photoshop extended it will work but it looks like the object is doing a large double take. The object may easily move right off the page.
vladimirgeller

Post by vladimirgeller »

Just checked the 3Dconnexion website and Photoshop CS4 is not listed as a supported application. Maybe this is the reason it doesn't work properly.
iggy

Post by iggy »

Vue 7 is a "certified" program either but Eon said that Vue 7 would work with the device and it does (more or less). However, Photoshop CS2 and CS3 WERE certified so it stands to reason that CS4 would be too. Initially it didn't at all, but with the release of Mac driver 1.5.6 it started to at least have some response albeit erratically.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

iggy,

Please try the 3D demo which you will find here:

Code: Select all

/System Preferences/3Dconnexion -> Configure -> Demos... -> 3D demo
Is this demo working as expected while Photoshop shows the issue?
Robert Stadie
iggy

Post by iggy »

rstadie wrote:iggy,

Please try the 3D demo which you will find here:

Code: Select all

/System Preferences/3Dconnexion -> Configure -> Demos... -> 3D demo
Is this demo working as expected while Photoshop shows the issue?
Yes, the demo works fine though the box tends to drift a little on its own. As I said, the device works smoothly with Poser Pro by and large with Vue 7. Photoshop CS4 is choppy at best.
femina

Post by femina »

Hello, I am 18 years old and would like to be a famous painter. I've ran out of the old enamels and oil paints and temperas I was using to get these effects, so this is the last of the fluid paint paintings I’ll be wasting good canvas on. But for good measure I painted in, actually manipulated in, a face in this one. Can you find the portrait? I’m hoping it’s obvious enough when you enlarge the image.
iggy

Post by iggy »

Uhh, good luck with your career. Can we now get back to the quirky behavior of the Spacenavigator with CS4 Photoshop Extended? Moderator, do you have a suggestion, or know of an upcoming change in the current driver?
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi iggy,

Does this also happen if you open the "Fish.psd" demo-file in CS4?
As vladimirgeller mentioned, CS4 is not officially supported yet.

Can you send me a short video showing this issue? You will find my contact details in your inbox.
Robert Stadie
iggy

Post by iggy »

Thanks for writing but I'm confused. Fish.psd is a 2D image with several layers. SN does't have any effect on it as far I can tell. The problem I'm having is if I import an .obj file into CS4 Extended. I can do video of an .obj file if that helps. BTW, there's an identical string related to this issue in the Windows version of this forum.
iggy

Hi Moderator

Post by iggy »

Did you drop this thread? I would still like to get some resolution to this matter, if possible.

Thanks.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi iggy,

CS4 is, as vladimirgeller mentioned, not a (officially) supported application. We hope that the current Plug-in for CS4 can be improved in a future version of our software - we track this issue with ID 4802.
Unfortunately I have currently no solution/workaround for you.
Robert Stadie
iggy

Post by iggy »

I appreciate your answer and candor. Still, it's odd that CS3 would have been officially supported and not CS4. From a consumer perspective that's a real mystery. I hope I don't have to tell you that there are a lot of Photoshop users out there. If I worked for 3DC. I would see them as a huge potential customer base.
David.Mac

Post by David.Mac »

I bought my navigator specifically for Sketchup and Photoshop CS3 X. It worked beautifully in CS3. Not having it in CS4 is a major frustration. If you buy in good faith for a supported application and then find future issues unsupported that is, to say the least, disappointing.

Does anyone know if there are plans? I would love to have it back again.
David Mac