3D Connexion Vs. Griffin PowerMate

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

joelcarlton

3D Connexion Vs. Griffin PowerMate

Post by joelcarlton »

I bought Space Navigator instead of the griffen powermate because I though it could at least handle what the powermate could. Apparently not.

My friend got one of these almost two years ago and I though by now it could do some of the simple things the Griffen can. Other then some hardcore apps and google earth how is this product useful. Maybe its just me but I dont understand how to use this.

I bought this device so I could use it in Aperture. I figured I could scroll through images or adjustment sliders or even just scroll in the os or adjust the volume, etc. Basically anything I could have done with the griffin powermate.

I dont understand how a product more advanced on the hardware level and 3d level can be so primitive on the 2d or something as simple as scrolling.

This is logitech company, an input company and this device doesn't even compare (2d features in any application) to a 30 dollar logitech mouse (I know because I have one) or a 500 dollar wacom tablet (again I know because I have one). My wacom can be set up do run any keystroke in any program and even scroll in web browsers, the finder and zoom in photo shop.

From what I have been able to gather 3D connection is leaving all the features to the software manufactures (correct me if im wrong) instead of developing the features for their own product. Did griffin contact (or have their customers contact) every company their hardware works in or did they design the drivers to make their product work?

Right from Griffins site
Can I use PowerMate with my favorite application?

PowerMate will work with ANY application that has key commands, or supports key commands. If your keyboard can do it, PowerMate can do it, too. It does this by sending keyboard shortcuts, called Key Commands. If a menu command has a Key Command equivalent, it will be visible in the righthand portion of the Menu.

PowerMate Features

Pump Up The Volume
PowerMate is the coolest volume knob your desk has ever seen. Crank up your MP3s and CDs. Then with a push of its button, mute your music to answer the phone and handle the complaints.

Make Movies With A Twist
Edit your video masterpiece with your very own Jog/****** wheel. Use PowerMate to scroll through and trim unwanted footage with the push of a button.

Touch And Glow
Cool blue light glows underneath the PowerMate, showing you visual status of what you're controlling. Turn the volume up - the glow gets brighter. Push mute - the light turns off. Coolest of all, it pulses hypnotically while your computer sleeps.

Take It For A Scroll
PowerMate is the fastest way to scroll through long text documents, web pages and spreadsheets. With a flick of the wrist, you get to the "bottom" of the story in record time.

Spin Control
PowerMate is an assignable controller. That means you can program it to do anything* you want - in any application. Program the wheel to scroll your email, set the button to switch to your browser. Customize it to your needs and get wild.
Things spining the SN could scroll, pressing down the zoom could mute. etc. There could be key commands programable for every direction on the 3D connexion products but there are not.

Please.... Someone give me some answers.[/quote]
joelcarlton

Post by joelcarlton »

UPDATED*

THINK, spining the SN could scroll, pressing down the zoom could mute. etc. There could be key commands programable for every direction on the 3D connexion product but there are not.
joelcarlton

Post by joelcarlton »

No comment huh?

Im about to return my SN now. A complete waist of money as well as my time. (shipping costs and returning product)

I also dont like the fact that you cant even mention any other products in this forum. Someone mentioning another product and giving me another solution gets his post ************* ed and I dont benefit by his comments.

I am completely dissatisfied by this companies lack of responsibility for their products software as well as their dont ask dont tell policy. Im about at my wits end with anything with Logitech.

Thanks for your help everyone but I did not get the answers or solutions I needed.

Off to the ups store