Space Navigator as Final Cut Pro Jog/Shuttle wheel?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

subzerohk

Space Navigator as Final Cut Pro Jog/Shuttle wheel?

Post by subzerohk »

I'm about to purchase a SpaceNavigator for use with Cinema 4D.

I'd just like to ask is there any way you can use the rotation (for pan in 3D) as a jog/****** wheel in Final Cut Pro and/or After effects. This would be a great replacement to the ********** I was also going to purchase.

Is there any chance of supporting FCP? Could this be achieved with MIDI navigator somehow?

Thx,

p.s: I'd also love to use it with Modul8 VJ software. Any ideas?
HerbyGunther

Post by HerbyGunther »

I agree! Great idea... for scrolling timelines sideways or for indeed scrubbing the timeline >> playback. I would have use for it.
joelcarlton

Post by joelcarlton »

I totally agree. I bought this instead of the griffen powermate because I though this could at least handle what the powermate could. Apparently not.
bishop666

Jog and shuttle

Post by bishop666 »

Hi:

The best solution for Final Cut is the *************. It has numerous assignable buttons that, unlike the 3D products, are programmable for just about any software you can conjure up, including every 3D animating program that I have tried.

-----
Edit (moderator): don't post ads (see BOARD RULES).
cj

FCP support is Impairative. Destroy your competition.

Post by cj »

I currently do not own a spacenavigator for one reason and one reason alone. It does not support Final Cut Pro. I work with 3D programs such as maya and blender. I heavily use programs such as photoshop, illustrator, & after effects. All in all, the project that I work on always eventually end up being put into a final cut pro workflow. Time and time again these projects are handled on the same computer (a mac pro). It just makes sense to have an external peripheral device that functions differently when switched between applications.
mr_projects

Post by mr_projects »

hmm has anyone tried that with ************ ? I bet it can be done with it till we get official support from 3DConnexion ..
dj

Make it compatible with Final Cut1

Post by dj »

I agree. I am ready to dish out however much money for this device if it only can be compatible with Final Cut Pro. Maybe I'll look into programming it myself.
Fred

Post by Fred »

As stated in other post.

"3Dconnexion would like to have support for much more applications. But you will have to contact the editor of the software, as 3Dconnexion doesn't have access to proprietary code, and ask for integrating support. We have a SDK which every software developer can download (free of charge) and which allows the support integration in proprietary software."
trilobyte

Post by trilobyte »

3D Connexion could very easily sign up as an Apple Developer. The program has been open to anyone for years. Further, Apple even revamped the entire program, changing the cost to a paltry $99/year for full access to tools. coding, and even pre-release software. From there it's not very difficult at all to reach out to the Final Cut Studio development team with any specific requests that you'd like to make regarding access to code, etc.
DiverLaura

Re: FCP support is Impairative. Destroy your competition.

Post by DiverLaura »

THIS!!!!!!!!!! I am resurrecting this thread with another request for FCPX functionality.

Do we need to all chip in the 99$ so 3D connexion can become an Apple Dev?
cj wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:12 pm I currently do not own a spacenavigator for one reason and one reason alone. It does not support Final Cut Pro. I work with 3D programs such as maya and blender. I heavily use programs such as photoshop, illustrator, & after effects. All in all, the project that I work on always eventually end up being put into a final cut pro workflow. Time and time again these projects are handled on the same computer (a mac pro). It just makes sense to have an external peripheral device that functions differently when switched between applications.
Phil999

Re: Space Navigator as Final Cut Pro Jog/Shuttle wheel?

Post by Phil999 »

if you can navigate with arrow keys (or any key command) in the software, there is an option to map key commands to the different axis or one single axis. In Windows, go to C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg and open KeyboardTemplate.xml* with notepad++ or other text editor. Copy the entire axis section, or the parts you need, to the .xml of your software, which can be found at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg. If the desired .xml is not there, open the software and assign at least one key, then close the software. Then an .xml will be created. Each axis can be switched on or off with the >false< and >true< switch.

If you do this for the first time, it's a good idea to make a copy of your .xml first. To assign key commands (After Effects uses PgUp and PgDn for navigation I believe) you can consult a HID table like here: https://gist.github.com/MightyPork/6da2 ... 55fdc73db2

*https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 37&t=16502
this one is possibly a better starting point. It is already configured for After Effects.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise