C4D R 11 and Space Explorer

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

bishop666

C4D R 11 and Space Explorer

Post by bishop666 »

Hello:

I just installed the latest version of C4D (R 11) on an Intel/Mac and was pleased to find that the above device now works for 3D movements, unfortunately however, the new version of the software does not respond to the programmable macros and as a result, the device's buttons are useless. It must be noted, however, that the earlier version of C4D (R 10.5) did recognize the macros but, of course, did not provide for 3D movement. Clearly, something was altered in the software that interferes with the macro recognition. The *************** macros are still operable in R 11 ... go figure! So, I now require the use of two separate devices in R 11, the SE and ***********.

Since this problem is not unique to R 11 (Poser Pro does not recognize the macros either) I am hopeful that an eventual resolution will be offered by someone.

-----
Edit (moderator): don't post ads (see BOARD RULES).
GiantSimon

C4D R11 and SpaceExplorer not working

Post by GiantSimon »

Agreed- I have C4D R11 installed and the latest drivers from 3DConnexion and the buttons are useless as a nipples on a frog.

If you launch the "Keyboard Viewer" from the international input preference panel, can call up a window that will reveal what keys are being pressed in or virtually pressed by the 3DConnexion SpaceExplorer in C4D -

From what I can tell, I can not make it map a keystroke to the F-Keys with the "Custom Functions..." macros -
For that matter, I can make the 1, 2, -,+, T, L, R, F or 2D buttons respond to a macro keystroke command or anything else.

-- this device is supposed to make it easy for 3D designers to work - this is pretty crummy so far and well below my expectations for quality, value and easy of use.

Something has to be FIXED - I don't care who (3DConnexion or Maxon), just get it done.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
~ There has not been any great talent without an element of madness.----Seneca
bishop666

Buttons, R10.5 vs R 11

Post by bishop666 »

Hello:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed this omission of function. Oddly enough, the buttons did function in R 10.5, so, something has changed to remove this function. I did contact Maxon tech support and was told that they could not confirm that the button macros functioned in R 10.5 but I suspect that they may not have used the latest mouse driver because I am able to program macros for ALL of the buttons contained in the Space Explorer in R10.5! They did say that they would send my complaint on to the programmers.

I might add that the button macros are not recognized by other programs as well, for example, Poser Pro, whereas, I was told by 3D Connexion tech support that they should work and that they are looking into the problem.

As you indicated, this device is supposed to make life easier but, instead, all it has accomplished is a wasteful expenditure and a load of frustration.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Some native supported applications (like Cinema 4D) do not take full advantage of the SpaceExplorer's functionality yet. We will also contact the developers and let them know how to enable the SpaceExplorer in their application. I hope they will include the SpaceExplorer in their implementations soon - it will depend on your (customer's) feedback they receive how long this will take.
Robert Stadie
bishop666

Space Explorer

Post by bishop666 »

Thank you for your assistance with this problem.