SN does not work with Maya 2008

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowcatcher

Post by Shadowcatcher »

I have recently purchased Maya 2008 and a new SN. The SN works fine with Google Earth and with Maya 2008 on a PC. However Maya 2008 on my Mac 10.5.2 does not recognize the SN. I have checked the Script Editor and there is no indication that the SN even exists. I have read other forums of similar problems with the Mac and older versions of Maya and the SN however I haven't been able to break 'the code' for the few solutions offered.

I contacted 3dconnexion support and was given a rather terse 'type MagellanStartup on the console and hit return. The console? What console? I typed 'Magellanstartup' into the Script Editor and only got an error message. I've also looked for a usersetup.mel folder, as suggested in one forum, and found none. So I created one but when I started Maya it would crash each time until I deleted the folder. I've downloaded and installed the latest SN driver - several times - but nothing changes. What's next? :cry:
Wowzers
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi Shadowcatcher,

What error message do you get when you typed ''MagellanStartup;"? If the message is (// Error: Cannot find procedure "MagellanStartup".), it means that the 3Dconnexion MEL scripts are not getting loaded. The MEL scripts are in the "Additional Plug-ins" folder of the driver DMG.
Shadowcatcher

Post by Shadowcatcher »

Hi flomotan,

If I type 'MagellanStartup' in the Scrip Editor I get ''// Error: Cannot find procedure "MagellanStartup". // ''. If I type "//MagellanStartup" then it just repeats "//MageeanStartup".

I've only had Maya for a couple weeks so I'm still fumbling my way around the interface... and needless to say, MEL is somewhat daunting.

I have found the additional MEL Maya scripts but I'm not sure what to do with them. Do I drag them to some folder, or do I just click on them for an install?
Wowzers
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

You need to copy the scripts into Maya's script folder. There are several possible locations for scripts but the easiest place would be

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts
Shadowcatcher

Post by Shadowcatcher »

Thanks Flomotan... The SN appears to working in Maya like advertised. I think it's going to be a great tool... I certainly appreciate your help. :D
Wowzers