MAC settings/tweaks for SN and Second Life?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

SLSDavid

MAC settings/tweaks for SN and Second Life?

Post by SLSDavid »

Hey gang,
Does anyone here know how to get SN to work with Second Life?

Surprised (or not) that the PC version of this same topic/discussion (how to get SN working well in Second Life) lead to an apparently credible work-around but a search of the Mac side of this forum reveals nothing on the topic.

My Set-up/Hardware:
-new MacBook Pro (with the works)
-running Windlight (if that matters)
- bought SN Personal Edition (works great with Mac v. of Google Earth)

Please help if you can!

SLSDavid

no ideas gang?

Post by SLSDavid »

nothing??
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

As of today, the only way is to build the SL client yourself and apply a patch from http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2516. If you can hang-on until the end of next week, I'll see if a better solution is available.
SLSDavid

Post by SLSDavid »

Flomotan,
Thanks so much for response.

I'll hang for sure! Your company has built a fantastic device and im sure your software dept is doing its best to keep up.

Second Life has over 20 million subscribers to date, average daily simultaneous logged-in resident count of aprox 50-60,000.

Virtual Worlds are seeing over US $1 Billion in active development investment.

Clearly Second Life, as the premiere online 3D world, merits working patches for your fantastic hardware.

I'll wait happily for sure, and even more patient since you took the time to let me know that there is active attention on helping your Mac SN users (who bought your product primarily for work/play in Second Life) get maximum value.

Thanks and standing by!
-david

PS: other than Google Earth, which worked with SN on Mac right out of the box (THANKS!), are there any other uses i could explore that are already working, while waiting for your set-up instructions/patch for Second Life - SN functionality?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Thanks for your patience! In the meantime, check out the Mac section of our Supported Applications table http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/ca ... up_app.php
SLSDavid

Oh by the way (while i wait)....

Post by SLSDavid »

While this post here pertains to your "SN Personal Edition" (note: i bought 3 of them for our Mac users here at SLS), i was under the impression (wrongly now it seems) that your programmers there at 3DConnexion have already written, tested, and delivered a patch (or "driver"?) for the (3!) "Space Explorer(s)" that i also bought (for our actual in-house design team) to optimize their use for the Second Life 3D world platform/client.

Alas, no.

While as a new customer, so eager to be so excited and brag about your great hardware to the 1000's that lecture to and write for each year in the 3D industry, i want you to know that I am just seeing RED right now.

As a new customer and would-be fan who just, in trust, invested over $1300 of our small start-up budget on your hardware to apply it to our 3D design work in the worlds largest ever online 3D world of Second Life, I promise to keep my communications here entirely rational and sincere; and therefore i expect and will not rest until i get answers to the following.

Reading through the forum history of numerous, similarly incredulous, would-be grateful customers as they have all but begged your company to provide a timely fix to this gross developmental oversight, I was stunned to find a consistently cavalier attitude nearly as professionally unsupportive from a product design/customer support standpoint as strategically shortsighted from a marketing and PR agenda.

So let me get this straight:
As one of the leading 3D design hardware manufacturers in the world you feel that the world leading online 3D virtual universe of Second Life is not worth the time (and how much time could we be talking here if in the vacuum of no help from you your customers go and figure out work-arounds in a matter of hours) to do-up a custom mapping patch?....in over a year??

To quote your own response in your own forums from almost a year ago already:
"Hello stevah:

Thank you for your post.

We are in evaluation with Second Life currently but no commitment or schedule to be posted at this time.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc."
Give, me, my team (that waited with so much excitement for your product after the $1300 investment), the many (MANY) other 3DConnexion cutomers pleading with you in your forums, AND the 20,000,000+ (that's MILLION) of SLife members registrants to date a very deserved BREAK.

This is the cornerstone of a pre-BOOM in your industry and you could be LEADING it.

If this is NOT a 100% no-brainer (that you should never have made anyone wait for a driver to this leading 3D online platform, or any) given that you are a for-profit business, I will personally PAY YOU to explain to me how your company could not prioritize the programmer time to write a simple patch for:
- an online 3D community with a history of millions and millions of people new to 3D and so excited, optimistic and perfectly demographic'd to BUY and brag about your great hardware
- the first one only already seven (7!) major such world wide online 3D virtual worlds that are already commanding over US $1 BILLION in capital investment in '06-'07.
- (.... would go on but its just too embarrassing to list all the business-sound, market classic reasons for you to have had this working already...).

You guys could be bumping your sales while advancing your user group while leading the industry while honoring your current customer-community while positioning your company and product-line and the forefront of the massive transition (over this next decade) as the WWWeb goes 3D.

But instead your forum is full of your own employees telling your own customers ".....we suggest you approach Microsoft directly to write a ....", etc.

If your reply does not (at least) begin with genuine empathy (before offering any justifications which you feel your customers must understand/adjust) for what in every respect appears as a radically short-sighted, uncaring, and self-defeating patch/driver development policy, I will be immediately returning our purchase and withdrawing our advocacy.

Standing by with very sharp attention (and still some hope),
David M.
Co-founder Second Life Synergetics, LLC
ettore

Post by ettore »

well now it's public, there it is:

http://gizmodo.com/374280/spacenavigato ... fe-avatars

:)
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
patou

any news on this?

Post by patou »

I unfortunally cannot find anybody in the SL community that can add this patch for us. I keep asking groups and people in DEV communities. No answer so far.

The JIRA doesn't have enough votes, so I guess nothing will come from their end.

If we could get some kind of solution from you guys, it would be awesome. I did test SN on a PC and it's great for machinima.

Come to our rescue! Pleeeaase. :lol:

Thanks !
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Support for Second Life was announced in this press release. http://www.3dconnexion.com/news/press/0 ... ndlife.php

You'll be able to get a Second Life client that supports our 3d mice directly from Linden Labs.
jedi

Post by jedi »

As of version 2.20.0 the SpaceNavigator is now supported in the Release Candidate viewer. You can download it here: http://secondlife.com/community/downloads-optional.php
ettore

Post by ettore »

ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
PatriceC

Space Navigator works but not button assignment

Post by PatriceC »

So far, everything works out of the box with RC 1.20 and Mac OS 10.52 (Leopard), on a Macbook Pro. However I can't change the two buttons from the default settings :?
SpookMaroon

Post by SpookMaroon »

Mine worked perfectly right out of the box with the Release Candidate viewer. All was great until yesterday when I installed the Safari update, now my system locks up solid. No pattern to the hangs. I can be on SL for hours with no problems (I have a job there, I'm not just shopping :). Log out, then back in again and I'm hanging every 20 minutes.

It's maddening! I'm considering hitting Time Machine and going back to my last backup before the Safari update to see if that makes a difference.

Still exploring this site to see if there are any recommendations - and yes, I did download and install the latest version of the drivers and utilities for the Spacenavigator PE.
Stepinwolf

Got this paperweight as a present.

Post by Stepinwolf »

My wife thought she was getting me something neat to use in second life. Sadly, this thing doesn't do anything except glow blue. Just doesn't work at all. I tried the release candidate 1.20.x. It didn't seem to do any better that the current viewer.
Stepin
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Check that the SpaceNavigator support is enabled in SecondLife. Go to Preferences->Input & Camera->Joystick Setup