Uninstall 3dconnexion driver crashes Mac mini / Slow boot u

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

macmanc

Uninstall 3dconnexion driver crashes Mac mini / Slow boot u

Post by macmanc »

All

Since installing SpaceNavigator PE on my father's mac mini on Christmas day there have been a couple of problems. The device worked fine and the OS works fine.

1) Boot time is amazingly slow i.e. anywhere from 5-45 mins (about 50/50 time spent on gray screen and blue screen before desktop appears)
2) I cannot uninstall driver - it crashes his mini - the password dialogue box appears but you cannot type anything and then when you click cancel the apple menu bar vanishes and nothing can be done with the mac - no right click works etc - the mouse is still active.

I have run a disk check (fine) and repaired permissions (fine) - once the mini is running there are no problems it is just the boot time.

Can anyone help - anything would be appreciated !

I have installed it fine on my own iMac and no problems.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear macmanc,

Could you share a few further details on your father's Mac mini.
Processor:
Speed:
Ram:
Available Drive Space:
How old?

3DxSoftware Version:

Sincerely,
Bryan
macmanc

PE Edition

Post by macmanc »

Yes it is the PE edition - I did manage to remove the software and drivers by creating another admin user and performing the uninstall that way.

Startup times have dramatically reduced to about 2-3 mins (which is still slow !)

I think it is a case of completely resetting the mini PRAM etc as a next stage and then maybe reinstalling TIGER and then LEOPARD to see if is potentially a hardware fault which was coincidental with loading the drivers etc.

Many thanks for your help. On my iMac - I have no problems !
ettore

Re: PE Edition

Post by ettore »

macmanc wrote:Yes it is the PE edition - I did manage to remove the software and drivers by creating another admin user and performing the uninstall that way.

Startup times have dramatically reduced to about 2-3 mins (which is still slow !)
A 2 minute boot time doesn't seem all that strange on older machines depending on processor and apps installed. Do you have a PPC processor? How fast is it? You can gather that information from the Finder --> Apple menu --> "About This Mac" menu option.

Another cause of slow down could be your login items (System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items), or other software you have installed recently.

Also, how long was the boot time before installing/uninstalling our driver?
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.