3D Connexion not working in SU

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Limey

3D Connexion not working in SU

Post by Limey »

I recently started using SketchUp again and I am now using SU 14 which works just fine but due to the limitations of my Mac I am unable to use later versions of SU that are now running 64 bit. My operating system is also confined to Mac OS 10.7.5.on a Mac Pro 1. Alas I discovered that I cannot get my 3DConnexion Mouse 1.0.3.8750 device to work with any program.Is there still a driver that exists to get this working again as I really have no need for a useless paperweight cluttering up my desktop ?It was always a pleasure to use in the past and I would very much like to use it again for upcoming projects.
Any help would be appreciated.
Limey
UtaSH

Re: 3D Connexion not working in SU

Post by UtaSH »

You can find legacy versions of our driver in our driver archive.
Limey

Post by Limey »

Thanks for the suggestion but I have no name of the actual model on the device so I don't know which item to choose. All I have inscribed on the device is 3DConnexion and that is all.When I pull up "info" for the application I get "3DMouse" version 1.0.3.8750 which is not included in the list provided for legacy drivers ???? The original packaging is long gone so I have no other source of identification.

Is there another listing or an alternative name I can use to download the correct driver do you know ?

Thanks
Peter
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Peter,

you can either search in the web if you find the correct picture and name. A very good website is this one.

Or you check in the Device Manager which PID your device has and the let us know.
Limey

Post by Limey »

I identified the device as a Space Navigator and downloaded the driver. However when I tried to install the download I receive the notification with Destination Select :-

"You cannot instal 3Dconnexion Software in this location. The 3Dconnexion installer does not allow its software to be installed here"

The options, greyed out are :-

Install for all users of this computer
Install for me only
Install on a specific disc

Thanks for your assistance so far. I hope it is possible to get past this particular obstacle.
Peter
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Peter,

interesting message. I never saw this with our driver. Where do you try to install it? On an external drive?
Which driver version did you download?

I don't recall that I saw the options for which user the driver should be installed :?
Limey

Post by Limey »

[attachment=0]screenshot_39.jpg[/attachment]

I was trying to install it directly on my Mac Pro which is running OS 10.7.5 . I am unable to use a later operating systems because I am stuck with 32 bit and cannot run 64 bit applications. As this driver is for an older 3Dconnexion device I didn't expect any problems, it used to work just fine on this computer.

The driver version I downloaded is 3DxWareMac_v10-4-1_r2428-2.dmg

Thanks
Peter
Attachments
screenshot_39.jpg
screenshot_39.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 11109 times
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Limey,

we dropped support for OS X 10.7 with 3DxWareMac 10.2. You need a version before 10.2. Go to our driver archive and download 3DxWareMac 10.1.2. That should work for you.
Limey

Post by Limey »

Thanks so much for your assistance, the new driver works great and it is a pleasure to use this device once more.

When I have an opportunity to upgrade my computer I will certainly upgrade to the latest 3DConnexion device. I really appreciate that you keep older drivers active unlike Trimble SketchUp that makes them quickly obsolete for older versions of their software and will force my business to suffer even more in these lean times if I am no longer able to use it.

Who would purchase a car that would last 20 years if the wheels automatically fell off after three years and could no longer be replaced ? Maybe after four years a person might be ready to purchase another vehicle…..but might think twice about which one.This is presently becoming a very inconsiderate style of marketing and profiteering which completely turns off long time customers like me.

Thanks again for treating your users with the respect they deserve and not deserting them when times are tough.You will always have my continued support and business.

Regards
Peter