RE: SN doesn't work in Maya on OSX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jackcloud

RE: SN doesn't work in Maya on OSX

Post by jackcloud »

Hey there Navstar. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as currently configured your SN will never work in Maya. The reason is thus, as opposed to using a driver like other mice and periforal devices do, SN uses maya embedded language to function. In essence is piggybacking itself on the software's own MEL scripting. Try this- launch Maya and open the script editor window, then use your SN and see all that callback data filling the script editor! It's too much for Maya to handle and just bogs down the system with too much data. Do this, after using the SN for about a minute, which is usually all it takes to slow it down until the movement is jerky and unusable, go into your script editor, select all the data and delete all info in script editor. Voila, now use your SN again....see how smooth it is...for about a minute...then repeat the delete process until your hearts content every minute...GOD this sucks ass yur saying to yourself...well just suck it up and make a nice paperweight out of the thing, and wait until they write an actual driver that works outside of Maya MEL scripting.
I've been on the line with tech support too and email....blah blah blah. What they're not telling you is that they've misrepresented this product and it in fact does NOT work with Maya as promised...they're nice folks but they need to hire someone who can code for OSX and fix it.
It's not you or your machine. I actually have Maya 7.0 Unlimited on a G5 Quad core machine and was checking to hear that 8.5 was working fine so I am dissapointed you are having the same problem as me. A 106.00 lesson I've learned.
Best to you,
Jack
skullbeast

same here

Post by skullbeast »

i have all ready had this thing for a few months and no success. i cant get it to work on maya, xsi, or even zbrush. i was just wondering if it cant be used on half the 3d apps that exist than what good is it, maybe ill use it as a fishing sinker instead, it might do that well. i wish i would have returned it!!!!!!!!! pos
Ia R'lyeh Cthulhu Fthagn!!
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi skullbeast,

I'm not sure if you're running OS X or Windows or a combination of both. Maya should work on both OSes. XSI is supported on Windows. Unfortunately, zBrush is not currently supported.

Depending on your OS, we can try to help you on this forum or on our Windows forum. Please provide more details on what issue you're having
MPaquin

great

Post by MPaquin »

I like flomotan's response. Nothing in it says anything about working to address the issue, or having found a solution. Great.

There's also no info about how to return your new paper weight.

I am now angry at 3dconnexion.

I wish I had read these forums before buying it.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

MPaquin

We are constantly trying to improve the list of applications that support our devices. We communicate with the software vendors and try to work with them to implement 3D mice support. Which applications do use?
MPaquin

Post by MPaquin »

The title of this thread is "SN doesn't work in Maya on OSX" right?

That would be a good place to start.

I should have checked these forums before I opened my wallet. What a disappointment.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The maya support files are part of the DMG distribution and I'm assuming you've already installed them. Can you give me some details of what is happening on your system when you run maya?

Some things to look at:
- Open the mel script console and see if there are any errors reported on startup
- Move your device cap around. Do you see "MagellanMotionCallback" messages on the console?
- If you don't see any MagellanMotionCallback or error messages, type "MagellanStartup;" on the console and hit return. Did that produce an error?
MPaquin

Post by MPaquin »

Its the same problem everyone else reports.

The Script Editor fills up with messages every time I touch the Space Navigator. Even with the Script Editor closed it fills with messages. After about thirty seconds its useless.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Can you give me some details about your system and maya version. I've tried to duplicate this on a MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Power Mac using maya 8.5 and 2008 but couldn't replicate the slowdown. At one point, I left the model spinning for over 7 hours continuously with no slowdown. The only time I can see a slowdown is if the console window is left open.
ferni59ff

Anyone

Post by ferni59ff »

So have any of you found a way to get autodesk maya 2008 to work. If so please reply.
mranger

A Year Later

Post by mranger »

Hey guys. I bought my Space Navigator about a year ago. What all of you are writing is what I went through when I bought it. Way too jerky to use in Maya on a Mac. I went through all of the "customer support" too, to no avail, and they wouldn't give me my money back citing that "it does what it's supposed to do". So I decided to pull it out again, seeing that they promised a solution eventually way back then. It's such a cool product, if only it worked. It looks like they still don't care about their customers. Too bad. Guess it's back to the old mouse again.
mranger

Me again

Post by mranger »

Please see viewtopic.php?t=1479 to view my problems last year.

Mike
jayse

Post by jayse »

unbelievable stuff here...

Guys - PLEASE start posting negative reviews on these paperweights on all forums, review sites and blogs. They don't deserve our business - unfortunately, everyone of us has learned that too late. Maybe we can save a few people.
nooj

Post by nooj »

jayse wrote:Guys - PLEASE start posting negative reviews on these paperweights on all forums, review sites and blogs. They don't deserve our business - unfortunately, everyone of us has learned that too late. Maybe we can save a few people.
Hear, hear! I will definitely do this.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hey guys, the issue that was raised here has been fixed and resolved starting with v1.5.0 of the driver. Please take a look at it and if there are other items we can improve on, let us know. We prefer to have a constructive dialog...