Got problems with Blender? Read here.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ettore

Re: 5DOF in Blender - why ?

Post by ettore »

Headroom wrote:So my 1st question would be who would I need to write to for this feature request.
The development mailing list is where all the design decisions are discussed, so that's the best (and only AFAIK) place:

http://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-committers
Headroom wrote:My second question relates to the beta state of the driver/plugin for Blender. Is there a roadmap as to when a final version can be expected and what fixes/features will be included ?
We found a few bugs in the 2.46 release concerning NDOF control, and we are trying to fix them. I don't know a release date at the moment: I'd say stay tuned on this forum, our website blender page, and also on graphicall.org for possible new builds of blender and the plugins.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
gilbenl

re-mapping buttons for blender

Post by gilbenl »

So, Santa came early, and after months of debating if I could justify dumping $50 on a college budget, I have my spacenavigator! With a bit of reading, I was able to get it set up, configured perfectly, and have been very productive in blender ever since (definitely 20% or more as claimed!). That being said, I am slightly frustrated with my inability to re-map the buttons on the device. I would like to set them up to be button 1- fit (equiv. to Fn-.) and button 2- tab (to enter edit mode). To attempt this, I created a custom profile for blender, then I used the buttons tab, and selected fit for button one and a custom macro mapped to tab for button two. Well, I cranked up the blend-o-matic, and the buttons still retain their original function. Que pasa? Can they indeed be re-mapped, or am I whizzing in the wind here?

Specs:
MBP 2.0 Ghz 2 Mb Ram
OS X 10.4.11
Blender 2.47, most up-to-date device plug-in avail.

Thanks all! Happy Holidays.
-Nick
feejo

Post by feejo »

I have it set ok on blender, win xp. I got setting right, it work. But on TURNTABLE, axis are reversed :(
dvwood7

Post by dvwood7 »

Hey guys,

I see these are some old posts, and havent really read through them all. Does any of this apply to Blender 2.5?
I would love to use my SN with the latest version of Blender...

Help is much appreciated!
significant-bit

Post by significant-bit »

Hey dvwood7,

I'm the developer responsible for adding SpaceNav support back to Blender 2.5+. Much of the event-handling system got an overhaul, so I was able to revamp the 3D mouse code. So to answer your question, the previous "hey, this is awesome" messages will still apply, the "plugin" posts will be obsolete, and the "not quite working" items will only apply if I don't do my job very well.

If all goes well, it will be available by September. Will post back here when it's ready!

- Mike
dvwood7

Post by dvwood7 »

Hi Mike,

Sounds great, help is much appreciated!
I am keen on waiting till September so no worries... Looking forward to what you will be posting.

Thanks,
Dave
SnakeArtworX

Post by SnakeArtworX »

Is there any progress with Blender 2.5+ plugin/support? I've bought SpaceNavigator today and it seems that it will be used only as a paper weight.
lightningsymphony

Post by lightningsymphony »

Well... I have 2.57b from Blender's main build site, and the beta drivers from 3DConnexion, including the Blender plugin. I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.7) on a Macbook Pro.

I got nuthin'. While the SN appears to work through the demos and Google Earth, Blender still doesn't seem to have any support running.

I've had a pair of SNs for years now, and have rarely been able to use them for anything except Google Earth. Not even Photoshop CS5 seems to recognize the input.

Am I missing something fundamental about installing the beta drivers, or plugin, or...???
zlanich

Blender 2.6x Behavior in OS X Lion

Post by zlanich »

I just got my SpacePilot Pro and the Beta Mac driver and the training app works perfectly, but Blender is far from it. The 6 axis works "mostly". The Panning only works with the shift key down. Top, Right, Front and their opposites work. The modifier keys work. Menu, Fit work but NOTHING else. The filter keys "dominant" etc do not work in blender. They don't toggle to modes at all. Even if I go into the system prefs and set my buttons in the left pad to some key combo, it doesn't work in blender at all. I even tried Photoshop CS5 and it doesn't do ANYTHING lol. Could someone with Mac please let me know if you're having any better success that me so I at least know what is expected to be working right now? Thanks!
Palex

Re: Got problems with Blender? Read here.

Post by Palex »

September is almost over. Where are the updated drivers?

Just so you know where I'm coming from: I bought this product over a month ago and it hasn't worked properly once. It seems as though Mac support in general was an afterthought.

Should I just send the product back?
g2mediagroup

Post by g2mediagroup »

Ok...it's been over a year since purchasing 3 SN's...and they still set as cool-blue-light-paperweights...ANY PROGRESS since 2011??

Are the same techs working on it?

Has it been abandoned?

Status update, please.

Thanks!
Indess

Post by Indess »

I had a problem with my blender and i decided to get help from the forum and you know what i got what i was searching for in first search of mine. That is interesting.
Firebert85

Post by Firebert85 »

Does anyone find any issues with SpaceExplorer and Blender 2.76 ? I currently have full NDOF functionality but using the 3DConnexion software to assign keystrokes to the device's buttons does not work.
ex. Telling 3DConnexion to assign "Tab" to the "F" button does not work.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.3
3DConnexion 10.2.5
Blender 2.76
SpaceExplorer fimrware 4.14
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Firebert85,

this is an issue how the support for the 3D mouse is implemented in Blender. Please report this issue to the Blender community. Their developer can contact us to get information about how to solve this.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

I do not have a Mac to test this on, but I know this is the case under Windows....

Blender does not recognize 3dconnexion settings for sensitivity and buttons, and requires you to assign their values and function within Blender's preferences. This may sound like horrible implementation, but it allows Blender to use ALL usb model of spacemouse (at least under windows), even if they are considered obsolete and unsupported by 3dconnexion.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.