Maya 8.5 on OS X

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mranger

Maya 8.5 on OS X

Post by mranger »

Hello. I just bought a Space Navigator, and am dissapointed to find out the the PE doesn't have phone support. Oh well, I guess that's why I'm posting here. Anyway, in Maya, everything works good exept when I zoom in, the camera view jerks around and makes it unusable. It works fine in other programs such as Google Earth and Photoshop. I have reinstalled the drivers and Maya plugins (all the latest versions), calibrated it many times, and tried every possible combination of options. I hope that I can get this to work because it's an amazing product. Thanks in advance.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

When the camera view "jerks around", does that mean the moves left/right uncontrollably or does the zoom happen in steps instead of a smooth motion? If you can give some specific description that could help us.

Also, what type of machine are you using and is it possible to get the file you're using so that I can try to reproduce the issue? You can send me a private message regarding the file.
mranger

Post by mranger »

Actually it goes left right up down somewhat fast, but heads in the general direction that I want to go. It's not a smooth move forward with a slow unpredictable framerate, but more like a shaky camera going forward. It's impossible to use like that because of the amount of movement that I'm getting. It works in all files, even a plain cube, so it probably wouldn't be helpful to send you a file. I have an imac, g5, 1.6 ghz, with 1.5 gb ram. Thanks for the reply.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Maybe the speed sensitivity is set too high. You can adjust the speed in the 3dconnexion panel. Bring up the panel by pressing the Left button on your SpaceNavigator while in Maya.

Note: the 3dconnexion panel in Maya is different from the 3dconnexion preference pane in System Preferences.
mranger

Post by mranger »

Thanks for the reply. No, I've adjusted that many times with no success. I've pretty much adjusted all of the settings in both the system preference dialogue and the one within Maya. Do you know what else I can try? I really hope to get this working. It works like a dream in google earth and my other programs, but Maya is the main reason that I bought it. Thanks.

- An amendment to this: It only does this in "fly" mode. I need fly mode to work though, as it has the ability to have full control of where the camera is where the other control modes don't.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Thanks for the tip about Fly mode. I'm now able to reproduce the issue. We're looking into it and will post an update once a solution is available.
mranger

Post by mranger »

Hello, just wanted to check in to see how the progress is going on the fix for the issue. Do you have an ETA on that? Thanks
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

We're actively looking at the issue right now. One thing unusual is that we can't reproduce this issue on the Windows version of Maya using the same MEL scripts for both platforms. Furthermore, not all of our test machines show the problem. So, there might be some machine specific settings that is causing the problem. Still on the hunt...
Navstar

Post by Navstar »

Where can I download the Maya plug-in to use SpaceNavigator? The CD that came with mine won't mount.

Many other posts point to the drivers download section here. But there is only one option for Mac downloads and its the System Pref Panel installer.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The Maya scripts are part of the 3DxMacWare driver download. You'll find them inside the "Additional Plug-ins" folder when you open the dmg
mranger

Post by mranger »

nothing yet?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The issue turns out to be with how Maya is processing data from the device. At certain intervals, the values for the Z axis are being swapped inadvertently with Y. We're contacting Autodesk to see if they can add a fix for this.
Casemon

Post by Casemon »

Couldn't you just compare the values over a few frames and invert that errant input when it doesn't match within a given tolerance?

Surely something as drastic as a complete reversal of direction is an extreme case that could be caught & fixed in the mel code at least some of the time?

Couldn't you try to do that first, and start giving some value back to your existing customers, before deferring the problem and expecting a huge global corporation to include a fix for your marginal product, probably during another $Xk upgrade?

Btw: the Maya mel scripts haven't see any added functionality in over 4 years (i know, i've unfortunately been using your products for that long). (rhetorical: "Why is that?")
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

A new Maya plug-in is under development that will fix this issue. It will be released as part of the 1.5 driver in a couple of weeks. Thanks to mranger for testing and confirming the fix.
mranger

Plugin

Post by mranger »

Thanks flomotan. It works great. The motion now is incredibly smooth now, and I'm exited about learning Maya in a more natural and intuitive way. Thanks again. I'm sure everyone will be itching to try it.

Mike