SpaceNavigator hardware durability

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jeffcraighead

SpaceNavigator hardware durability

Post by jeffcraighead »

How durable is the SpaceNavigator? I'd like to carry it in my soft laptop case from home to work and back. Should I put it in some kind of hard case? Any recommendations? Or can I just stuff it in w/o protection like the mouse I carry?

Thanks!
Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

I would reccomend you place the device in some sort of hard case otherwise the device can get damaged.
Also the abrasion of the leather will wear down the finish on the metal casing.
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

I carry mine in a tea tin that happens to be large enough. Windsor Gardens Pure Ceylon Tea, 3 oz/8.75g, from Bentley's Fine Teas via a small specialty shop near me (in the USA) It's roughly a tin cube with a lid. I stuffed a bandana in the bottom for padding. It's gotten a bit dented in the 4 months I've used it. I might buy some more tea just to get a new tin, even.

I'm concerned about the wire that comes out of the SpaceNavigator, but so far, no troubles. I worry that constantly taking it out, then coiling up the cable again and bouncing it around in the tin, would flex the cable too much and develop a short.

I see that the SpaceNavigator for Notebooks comes with a carry case, and it seems to be stored the same way (coil the cable around the device, and stick it in the case). So maybe I need not worry about that.

My SpaceNavigator has been great for over 6 months, and I love it.