Using El Capitan

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

refsland

Re: Using El Capitan & Google Earth

Post by refsland »

Yes I also confirm Google Earth is not working. The globe spins rapidly constantly with the left and down arrows activated, even if the controller is unplugged. I have reinstalled several times and activated the controller in the Google Earth navigation settings.
JabbaTheNut

Re: Using El Capitan

Post by JabbaTheNut »

I just bought a SpaceMouse Wireless for use on my new Macbook Pro with Retina and El Capitan. In Maya 2016, the behavior is horrific. It is very choppy and slow. As well, changes to the settings do not seem to work.

Was the software tested before release?
What do I do now?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

mdopp wrote:Yes, of course - "Controller actived" is turned on (as I already wrote in my first post ...).
I have restarted Google Earth a couple of times and even restarted the computer to make sure this setting is recognized.
But nothing works.
You might encounter the problem described here. Please check. This is an issue that you have to report at Google.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

JabbaTheNut wrote:I just bought a SpaceMouse Wireless for use on my new Macbook Pro with Retina and El Capitan. In Maya 2016, the behavior is horrific. It is very choppy and slow. As well, changes to the settings do not seem to work.

What do I do now?
Hello JabbaTheNut,

of course we have tested the driver before the release. We didn't encounter any problems with Maya (or any other supported application).

It may be - for some strange reasons - that the com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist file is messed up.
So please try remove it (you may want to have it backed up before!) from ~/Library/Preferences/. (Please note: Before removal, close the System Preferences and thus the 3Dconnexion prefs.) If you now reopen the 3dconnexion prefs, a new/clean com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist is created. The mappings should work right away.
mdopp

Post by mdopp »

You might encounter the problem described here. Please check. This is an issue that you have to report at Google.[/quote]

Thank you!
This actually solved the problems both in Google Earth and in Google Earth Pro.
JabbaTheNut

Post by JabbaTheNut »

UtaSH wrote:
JabbaTheNut wrote:I just bought a SpaceMouse Wireless for use on my new Macbook Pro with Retina and El Capitan. In Maya 2016, the behavior is horrific. It is very choppy and slow. As well, changes to the settings do not seem to work.

What do I do now?
Hello JabbaTheNut,

of course we have tested the driver before the release. We didn't encounter any problems with Maya (or any other supported application).

It may be - for some strange reasons - that the com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist file is messed up.
So please try remove it (you may want to have it backed up before!) from ~/Library/Preferences/. (Please note: Before removal, close the System Preferences and thus the 3Dconnexion prefs.) If you now reopen the 3dconnexion prefs, a new/clean com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist is created. The mappings should work right away.
UtaSH,

Thank you for your help. You are correct. I uninstalled (including prefs and the like) and reinstalled. Everything works now.

BTW, this SpaceMouse Wireless is awesome! :D
Vinothen

Post by Vinothen »

Same problem as Marshian absolutely crashed my computer after installing with the cd thought it was a bad install after I restored from time machine (28 hours) clearly not because it crashed again there goes another 28 hours any help would be greatly appreciated
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Vinothen,

the CD is rather outdated. Please install the driver from our website.
JordanS

Post by JordanS »

My Space Navigator is working with Google Earth in El Capitan now with 3DxWareMac_v10.1.2. Version 10.2.4 didn't work.

Now, would someone please program a plugin to automatically load the nearest Panoramio photo in a separate window so I never have to take my hand off the Space Navigator?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

JordanS wrote:My Space Navigator is working with Google Earth in El Capitan now with 3DxWareMac_v10.1.2. Version 10.2.4 didn't work.
You ran across this problem.
3dbot

Post by 3dbot »

3DConnexion MacBook El Capitan OSX circle with line through it will not start

Same exact problem as Marshian but I do not have a current backup.

Totally unable to boot up my MacBook after installing 3DConnexion software disk.

Spent over an hours on the phone with apple support and now I have a Genius Bar appointment.

This is totally unacceptable and needs to be addressed immediately.

Now my work/personal files feel as if they may be in jeopardy.
xking3

Post by xking3 »

The Problem with Google Earth is still there. Is there new driver coming for it or what is going on????
hoylen

Post by hoylen »

Google Earth does work with OS X El Capitan, but requires an extra setup step.

I have Google Earth 7.1.5.1557 (20 May 2015 build) running on Mac OS X 10.11.1 with my SpaceNavigator using the 3DxWare v10.2.4 r2077 for the Mac.

The problem is due to Google shipping Google Earth with out of date 3Dconnexion drivers. The solution is to replace the 3Dconnexion drivers in Google Earth with the latest drivers supplied by 3Dconnexion.

Replace the framework directory /Application/Google Earth.app/Contents/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework (the driver that comes with Google Earth) with the framework directory from /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework (the new driver).

Code: Select all

cp -r /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework \
      "/Application/Google Earth.app/Contents/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework"
3Dconnexion provided this solution back in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11551#p40987
In a terminal:

If you want to copy the file in a terminal this would be the command to do it:

cp -r /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework /<PATH>/GoogleEarth.app/Contents/Frameworks/

Note: <PATH> may or may not be “/Applications”; it depends where Google Earth is located on your machine.

With the Finder:

If you copy the file within the Finder make sure NOT to move the framework out of its location: /Library/Frameworks/.
Open the GoogleEarth bundle (“Show package contents”) in the finder.
Copy /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework to /<path>/GoogleEarth.app/Contents/Frameworks/ via drag + drop while holding the Alt-key when dropping.
But it is not as smooth as it was before. It seems to only move in one axis at a time, so you can't smoothly do two movements at the same time (e.g. pan and rotate simultaneously) - but at least you can navigate around.
xking3

Post by xking3 »

Finale Many thanks for your help!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D :D :D
vmdouglass

Re: Using El Capitan with Google Earth Pro

Post by vmdouglass »

Version
3D: 1.04.9675
OSX: 10.11.1 (15B42)
GE Pro 7.1.5.1557
Controller is checked "enabled" in pref (GE Pro)

Problem:
I can not navigate at all using my SpaceMouse Pro. There is no recognition of my 3D mouse.

Solution:
I saw some of the workarounds with installing codes but I am not familiar with working with codes and want to know what is an alternative solution, recommendation or a step by step for "Dummies" for insertion of code.
I also saw that an older version of a 3D driver works. If I use an older driver, what upgrades are lost. If non lost, then how do I downgrade to an older driver?

Please help.