SpaceExplorer tools and support for Linux

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

bsintes

SpaceExplorer tools and support for Linux

Post by bsintes »

Hi there,

I just bought a SpaceExplorer device that I plugged&installed on my Linux box (RH4.3WS 64 bit).

I get the device working with the xcube demo but then I don't know how to configure it for other apps as there is no given configuration application.

For instance, I tried to have it worked with Google Earth under linux and it does not seem to be detected as a joystick would.

Using GE is not a final goal for me as I want to have it working with some in-house tools (which I won't be able to hack).

Is there a way to have it recognized or to configure it in a proper way ?

Thanks.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi bsintes,

Google Earth for Linux does not support our devices at the moment (see here).

If you want to use the SpaceExplorer with another application that has the interface of our SDK integrated you should proceed as follows:
  • - open the application and open the driver window
    - activate you application and then click in the driver window the "Save" button. Please make sure that no other window gets active while changing from your application to the driver window.
    - enter any name for that configuration
The driver uses the name of the window as an identifier that determines when the configuration should be loaded. Every time a window with that name is activated the driver will then load this configuration.

You can find the configuration file at $HOME/.3dxcfg and can share it with your coworkers if wanted.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion