Setting up space ball 4000 on UNIX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg

Setting up space ball 4000 on UNIX

Post by Greg »

I am looking for some kind of set up guide for my spaceball 4000. I have the panning and rotations set to the speed I like and working great. However I cannot figure out to change the zoom in/out speed. Also does anyone have list of commands for programming the buttons?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Greg,

to change the speed of zooming you should open in the 3DxWareUnix driver window the "Sensitivity and Filters" tab. There you can change the speed. There are three sliders: one for the speed while "Panning", one for the speed of the "Rotations" and one to change the speed of "Zooming". Below the sliders you find checkboxes to switch on and off a single axis (or Translation and Rotations over-all).

If you want to map a new macro to one of the buttons do the following:
  • - go to the tab "Custom Functions"
    - enter a name into the field "Function Label"
    - click into the field "Function Command"
    - enter here exactly the keyboard sequence that you would use in your application to launch the command that you want to map
    - press "Set Function". The new command will be added to the list of macros
    - open the tab "Button Mapping" and open the drop down list of the button where you want to change the mapping
    - scroll to the end of the list where you will find the newly created macro. Select it.
Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Greg

No tabs

Post by Greg »

I don't have tabs on my spaceball program window. I am running SpaceBall 4000 Motion Control Center (MCC) Version 4.55

If there was a way for me to attach a word, excel, or powerpoint file I could send a screen shot of what the spaceball "program" interface window looks like.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

:idea: Aah! You are using an older driver version, the xdriver! I'm sorry, I wasn't aware. I was talking about our latest driver, 3DxWareUnix.

In the xdriver's panel, called "Motion Control Center" do the following to map a new macro to one of the buttons:
  • - select the button you want to map with a new function in the list with the button numbers, i.e. (1)
    - then press the "Programming" button in the MCC. The "Button Mapping" window opens.
    - now enter exactly keyboard sequence that you would use in your application to launch the command that you want to map
    - press "Okay"
    - enter a name for the new mapping in the field "Meaning"
That's it.
If you want to save this mapping press the "Save" button. :)

The sensitivity for zooming can be changed in the "Sensitivity" area with the slider for "Z".

There is a button "Help" in the MCC, which opens a webbrowser (if the xdriver can determine one) and displays a description of the driver GUI. The corresponding file xdriver.htm is located at /usr/magellan.

Nevertheless I recommend to try the latest driver, the 3DxWareUnix version 1.2.0, which can be downloaded from our webpage.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Greg

Thanks

Post by Greg »

Thanks for all you help I have everything working. I couldn't figure out the keyboard commands but with the LPFK feature I was able to make it work.

Do you have list of keyboard commands you could send me? I would like to have it for future reference.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

The keyboard commands are application specific. Depends which application you are using the keyboard commands differ. Thus please refer to the documentation of your application for more details about keyboard commands.