Is Space Traveler supported by GoogleEarth on Linux

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

hraith

Is Space Traveler supported by GoogleEarth on Linux

Post by hraith »

Hi,

I'm using Suse Linux 10.2 and a Space Traveler with driver installed and working fine.

Now I installed GoogleEarth 4.0.2723 for Linux.

Is navigation with the Space Traveler supported for GoogleEarth?

Thanks for an answer.
Regards
Hans.
:D
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi hraith:

Not today, no. We hope that there will be support in the future, but we cannot commit to when or if that might happen.

Please check back.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
hraith

Post by hraith »

Thank you very much for the feedback. :P

Let's hope it will happen.

Thanks and best regards
Hans.
tomjennings

Post by tomjennings »

znissan wrote:Hi hraith:

Not today, no. We hope that there will be support in the future, but we cannot commit to when or if that might happen.

3Dconnexion, Inc.
Is there any effort being expended on making 3Dconnxion devices work for linux googleearth?

Does "hope that there will be support in the future" mean that it's not even being considered? Please tell me that's not so. Can it be so difficult?

The linux userbase is smaller, but a high percentage of them are developers and authors and maintainers. It would be in 3D/Logitech's interest to support this product under linux!
atuor

Post by atuor »

I'd also be happy to use it with GoogleEarth Linux. Most of the things I do on my computer, I can achieve with Linux apps., when I use GoogleEarth I need to reboot my computer... on Windows if I really want to have fun with it, using my SpaceNavigator
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi,

At 3Dconnexion, we'd love to see support for our 3D Mice in GE for Linux. If you are of the same opinion, we recommend you to send a note to Google and let them know. Customer/user requests always carry that extra bit of weight.
Nuno Gomes
tomjennings

"easy" GE support...

Post by tomjennings »

A tolerable fix for un-supported apps might be mapping Spacenavigator functions to keyboard character codes, and some way to make the Spacenavigator an HID device. Voila! Instant support!

All of the googleearth nav functions map to the keyboard.
atuor

3DConnexion Devices in Google Earth for Linux

Post by atuor »

I posted a 'shout' at

http://groups.google.com/group/earth-li ... 621df84f69#

It's dated 1.1.2009

If anyone cares to follow it, why not reply with a 'me too' or so ;-), maybe if there are enough it will be heard :D
atuor

Re: "easy" GE support...

Post by atuor »

tomjennings wrote:A tolerable fix for un-supported apps might be mapping Spacenavigator functions to keyboard character codes, and some way to make the Spacenavigator an HID device. Voila! Instant support!

All of the googleearth nav functions map to the keyboard.
Do you have a hint on how to do that ? would like to try, but never digged into that kind of things
oobscure

Post by oobscure »

I join in the request for Spacenavigator-Google Earth Linux support.

BTW I also have two friends using Linux that are avid Google Earth users - they said they would buy the Spacenavigator PE edition if they could use it on Linux.

I like very much this device, I'm very happy I can use it with Second Life - it really improves the whole virtual world experience and it lets you take awesome video. After months of workarounds it will be fully supported in the upcoming new Second Life Linux client.