Failed to get User error.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

demaseme

Failed to get User error.

Post by demaseme »

Hello, I've been trying to install an Space Navigator driver on both Ubuntu 17.10 and Tumbleweed (Open SUSE) without any results.

I followed the instructions on the text file from the file that I downloaded from your official website and make some digging on google but I can't seem to fix my problem, on the main installation I get this error:

Code: Select all

[2017-11-20 13:50:51] Error: 3dxsrv.c :: startupCommandLine(), authGetUser(), failed to get user
However, I try to run the driver :

demaseme@localhost:/> /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d USB
[2017-11-20 13:53:07] Error: 3dxsrv.c :: startupCommandLine(), authGetUser(), failed to get user
Now with sudo:

demaseme@localhost:/> sudo /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d USB
[2017-11-20 13:53:51] Error: 3dxsrv.c :: startupCommandLine(), authGetUser(), failed to get user
I've been trying for about 2 weeks now and now I'm really tired to keep looking, I need to get it running for a homework for this week. Can anybody help me? I get the same error in Ubuntu, currently my laptop has Tumbleweed installed. Thanks.
demaseme

Re: Failed to get User error.

Post by demaseme »

The version I'm using:
demaseme@localhost:/> /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -v
3DxWareUNIX = V1.8.0, ID 10505
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello demaseme,

officially we do not support ubutnu. Thus we haven't tested our driver on ubuntu.

Have you tried with

su -
/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb
nlc

Post by nlc »

Yes he did and ther is the same problem ! I heard of a small C code some one compile to make it work and i did a long time ago but i do not remember what one need to do with it !!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-6 ... e36149df5b

If you solve the problem pleas update
nour

Post by nour »

nlc wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:25 pm Yes he did and ther is the same problem ! I heard of a small C code some one compile to make it work and i did a long time ago but i do not remember what one need to do with it !!

If you solve the problem pleas update
So basically, the link takes me to the other forum that contanis a link to this forum ?
Anyway, juste compiling a code can not fix the problem, that must be some "make" file out there to deploy to binary file.
Presstheredbutton

Post by Presstheredbutton »

Same error here, did someone ever found a solution to this?

Any help will be higly appreciated
gjrtimmer

Post by gjrtimmer »

@ALL

Solution to get driver running in Ubuntu; the issue is the linking to the USB UserSpace.

Run the following command as your user; Yes as your normal USER; and its correct to use SUDO.
We want to remain in our current UserSpace, elevate to ROOT while maintaining our current environment.

The variable ${USER} is automatically replaced by bash with your own username, so you can copy paste this command.

sudo /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -userName ${USER} -firmware usb
Result:

timmer@Aeris:~$ sudo /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -userName ${USER} -firmware usb
Device      = SpaceNavigator
Firmware    = V4.31
Device   = SpaceNavigator
Firmware = V4.31
It showed it was able to connect to the space navigator, and read its firmware through USB.

Now continue.

sudo /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -userName ${USER} -d usb
If I then open a second terminal and laucn xcube from the install package; I'm able to control the cube with my space navigator.

Hope this helps a lot of other people.

@3DConnection

You're linux install script is flauwed, several if statements are incorrect, does not matter that you do not support ubuntu; the install script gives errors because there are elemental BASH errors in your install script; if you want I can help you rewrite it.

Let me know by sending me an email.
anool

Post by anool »

gjrtimmer wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:38 am @ALL

Solution to get driver running in Ubuntu; the issue is the linking to the USB UserSpace.

Hope this helps a lot of other people.

@3DConnection

You're linux install script is flauwed, several if statements are incorrect, does not matter that you do not support ubuntu; the install script gives errors because there are elemental BASH errors in your install script; if you want I can help you rewrite it.

Let me know by sending me an email.
Hi,

Thanks for this. I was getting the same errors, and walking through your instructions makes it work, sort of.
I have the SpaceMouse Wireless, and after installing the driver on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, I'm able to use the 3D mouse to manipulate the xcube and xvalue demos.
But that's about it. I can't seem to get the mouse work with either FreeCAD or Blender.

Would you have any tips on what might be wrong ?
m4l490n

Post by m4l490n »

anool wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:00 am
But that's about it. I can't seem to get the mouse work with either FreeCAD or Blender.
Were you able to figure this out? I also need to make my spacemouse work with FreeCAD