3DxWare 10 for Linux?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

UtaSH

Re: 3DxWare 10 for Linux?

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Reece,

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the functionality of your 3D mouse. On our website in the list of supported applications you can see which application on Linux support our devices. The list is quite short and Onshape only supports our device on Windows and macOS. :(
smolinski

Post by smolinski »

I'd upgrade to a Spacemouse Pro Wireless if you'd update the Linux driver.
zerobitsmith

Post by zerobitsmith »

This is honestly the most disappointing thing about the spacemouse for me. I love the 3dconnexion hardware, and my ability to do CAD work with it is substantially better than without, but it's literally the only thing I have to boot into Windows for anymore.

Hopefully, 3Dconnexion will grow to understand just how significant CAD on linux is becoming and offer a driver for us.

Alternatively, it'd be amazing to see them open source the necessary components of the driver, and let the Linux community develop it for them. Considering software isn't a profit point for 3dx, that kind of approach could make both sides happy. Linux users get the ability to make our driver, 3dx doesn't have to dump the effort into it.
StaniGe

Post by StaniGe »

I really support the initiative of zerobitsmith:

A quote of his/her last comment:
'Alternatively, it'd be amazing to see them open source the necessary components of the driver, and let the Linux community develop it for them. Considering software isn't a profit point for 3dx, that kind of approach could make both sides happy. Linux users get the ability to make our driver, 3dx doesn't have to dump the effort into it.'

And in my own words:
If 3Dconnexion isn't able to provide an adequate Linux support, so give the Linux community the ability to develop their own drivers for your -definetly marvelous - hardware. It might become a win-win situatuation, because you may learn new approches and possibilities for your closed source Windows etc. drivers. And all Linux users will become able to use your great hardware.

I am especially interested on a reply by UtaSH.
mbianchi

Post by mbianchi »

I would like to upvote an updated Linux driver. And I think zerobitsmith has great suggestion!
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Count me in.

I tried to get my 3D connection devices a few times in many Linux Distributions
but was never successful to make anything working.

The other thing I noticed on Linux,
on macOS or Windows I was always used to have some Driver Software that
allows different Setups and Assignments for each App,
(Logitech, Wacom, 3DConnexion, Microsoft, ....)
but I haven't seen something like that for any input devices on Linux so far.
Are there such options anywhere ?

So beside my CADMouse's basic mouse buttons, scrollwheel and coordinate readout,
if my 3D bubbles would get recognized and work - that would help a bit.
But for me it would only be really interesting when my Enterprise's display shows
icons and all buttons can be assigned - for each App separately.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Here is another one that requires working drivers for Linux.
I switched from Windows to Linux months ago, everything works, printers, scanners, except my 3Dconnexion spacemouse :(
StaniGe

Post by StaniGe »

Meanwhile, I got my SpaceMouse Wireless running on Linux (Ubuntu) with FreeCAD.
The basic driver for Linux is 'spacenav' (see http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/).

I tried the installation from the Ubuntu repository and tried to compile it myself - no success!
What did the trick for me?
The site 'https://wiki.freecadweb.org/3Dconnexion ... up_FreeCAD' reported in the
chapter 'Known Issues' the workaround:

Open a terminal and then:

sudo cp ~/.Xauthority /root/
sudo spnavd_ctl x11 start
sudo systemctl restart spacenavd

WARNING! At least the first sudo order has to be send seperate, because 'sudo' requires and waits for a password,
that only executes the first line (if send together). Once 'sudo' is accepted, you can send the next sudo orders at once.

The disadvantage of this workaround:
It doesn't survive a reboot and it has to be done before starting FreeCAD.

So, on any (re)start of your computer you have to execute the terminal sequence before starting FreeCAD.
But, for having 3D-Mouse support this is a minor inconvenience! And I know, that the developer(s) of spacenav
are aware of that problem, and are trying to solve it.
Up to now with no real success.
jtsiomb

Post by jtsiomb »

And I know, that the developer(s) of spacenav are aware of that problem, and are trying to solve it. Up to now with no real success.
I am the developer of spacenav, and I have no idea what you're talking about. If your problem is that you need to copy the .Xauthority file every time and restart spacenavd, you should follow the FAQ #10 and use a symlink, don't copy it: http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/faq.html#faq10