64 bit Suse 11.2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

pleasetryagain

64 bit Suse 11.2

Post by pleasetryagain »

Hello all,

I have been using a SpaceExplorer in a proprietary app in a 32 bit Suse Linux environment. It has worked fine for several years in that capacity, and the SpaceBall as well prior to that. I recently upgraded to 64 bit Suse 11.2, and now the SpaceExplorer has begun acting as a mouse, manipulating the cursor when I move the XYZ axis controller. Additionally, the '1' toggle button acts as the left mouse button, allowing you to use the SpaceExplorer to select, drop/drag etc.

This is a great feature that I had been planning on implementing in the next fiscal year. There is a problem however, as I need to be able to toggle into and out of that behavior mode, so that I could for instance use the SpaceExplorer as a mouse to highlight windows, and then use it as a 3D navigation tool without the mouse cursor flying all over the desktop.

I currently define /dev/spaceexplorer with a 'rules' file in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory. I then 'open'
the device for reading and manipulate my app with the SpaceExplorer output. What has apparently occurred in the recent Suse release, is that the Linux mouse driver is also getting the output from the SpaceExplorer and using it to manipulate the mouse cursor. You can now e.g. move the mouse and the SpaceExplorer axis controller, such that the cursor is stationary as both pointing devices are moved.

Is there a way to toggle between mouse mode and 3d navigation mode in a Linux environment?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi pleasetryagain,

the SpaceExplorer itself does not have this mode included. It is a USB multiaxis HID controller and recognized as such from the operating system. The effect that the cursor is controlled comes from the operating system and we have no influence on it.