Unwanted movement of SpaceNavigator.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

sandquist

Unwanted movement of SpaceNavigator.

Post by sandquist »

Hi!

I'm unsure if this is a driver error, hardware error or simply noob user error. I'm trying to get the Space Navigator to run on my Ubuntu 9.04 box, but try as I might, I get unexplained pointer/controller movement when ever the navigator is pluged in.

When used in pointer mode, which works in all other respects out of the box, the pointer "jumps" down a little every 2 - 3 second as if the space navigator is being pushed down. When used with a driver daemon however, the movement is really strong, and the pointer is continuously being pulled across to the right of the screen when left on it's own. If I lean full left on the controller, I can almost counter effect the unwanted movement. It does interact as it should with Blender or Gimp, but with this added unwanted movement.

Now I don't know if I'm doing something completely wrong or if there is indeed something wrong with the hardware? I have tried this with spacenavigator daemon 0.3.0 (from ubunut) and 0.3.2 from source as well as 3dxware 1.3.0 (deb from arakhne) and 1.4.1 directly from you. but with the same result each time. And yes, I have completely removed the old driver/daemon before trying to install a new.

I got the space navigator for christmas, and the details for the firmware is as follows:
3DxWareUNIX = V1.3.0
Device = SpaceNavigator
Firmware = V4.04

Do you have any advice?
Cheers,
David
DDDTTTKKK

Post by DDDTTTKKK »