Install problem with Kubuntu 9.04 & Blender

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Maxmingus

Install problem with Kubuntu 9.04 & Blender

Post by Maxmingus »

I can't seem to get my new spacenavigator working correctly in Kubuntu 9.04.

I plugged the unit in and the OS immediately saw it as a mouse.

I downloaded and installed the driver (actually twice, the first time it complained that I needed libmotif, which I added and then reinstalled the driver).

I launched the driver and the spacenavigator lit right up and stopped working as a mouse. Touching it makes settings in the driver window change uncontrollably.

I added the plugin for Blender into two different plug-ins folders (one under usr/lib/blender/plugins, the other in a ".blender" folder in my home directory) but blender does not see the space navigator. Blender version is 2.48a

Also, the driver does not start automatically on boot. I checked my inittab file and the correct line is present (actually, it was present twice).

Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction? Also, is there any way to close the driver window?

Thanks,
Max
UtaSH

Re: Install problem with Kubuntu 9.04 & Blender

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Max,

we recently found a problem with 3DxWareUnix 1.4.0 (and 1.4.1) and the SpaceNavigator on Linux (see here). The problem is fixed and will go into the next release. I will send a beta version of the driver to you. Please post your findings here. Thanks.

And: no, the window can not be closed. The only way is to stop the driver.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Maxmingus

Thanks

Post by Maxmingus »

Thanks, Uta, I appreciate the prompt reply. I received the driver and will let you know my results.

Max
Maxmingus

Beta driver works fine

Post by Maxmingus »

I loaded the beta driver and the SpaceNavigator started working immediately. Started with the cube demo and then went to Blender -- both work issues. I will let you know if the driver starts itself on reboot.

Regards,
Max