Heavy flickering of 3DxWare window under Linux

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

qxsxfx

Post by qxsxfx »

I have installed the new driver and now I'm allow to use it in Blender as a 3D navigator, but it is still a mouse at the same time. My distribution is Xubuntu 9.04 64, I know Xubuntu is not officially supported but, do you know any solution for that?

Thank you.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi,

please try the script below to start the driver. You have to disable the start from the /etc/inittab in case it is active and then start the script from a command line.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

usleep 200000
rmmod hid
/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb &
# sleep 1
modprobe hid
Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
idris

Post by idris »

Hello Uta and others.

Thanks for emailing me the 1.4.3 beta driver. Sadly I am still experiencing the problem; when I start the driver and the configuration program appears, moving the space navigator causes the options to randomly flicker about and change.

I understand ubuntu isn't officially supported but if others have been successful in getting it to work, could you explain how you've done it?

Ubuntu automatically installs the space navigator as a 2D mouse and I wonder if this is interfering; does anyone know a way to prevent ubuntu from hijacking the space navigator when it's plugged in?

Cheers,
Idris
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi idris,

it’s a pity that you still have the same problems. :( This sounds really as if you received the old version of the driver. Could you please check if you are using the correct version? Either see the title of the window or launch
  • /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -v
If this does not clarify the problem please launch
  • /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb -dbgMotion -dbgButton
Then move the cap a little bit and press any button. You can post the output here.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
idris

Post by idris »

uludwig wrote:it’s a pity that you still have the same problems. :( This sounds really as if you received the old version of the driver.
Bingo. I just ran the installer again and there was an error because I didn't have the tar.gz file in the current directory - it must have thrown this error before but I didn't notice it in the output messages.

I've upgraded now and it works :D It's amazing!

The only problem is that in blender the controls all seem to be upside-down, but I'll find a more appropriate place to post about that!

Cheers!
:D
fromlugdunum

Post by fromlugdunum »

OS ubuntu : 8.10
graphic card : x800xl + ATI proprietary driver

the new driver 1.43 work fine, thanks
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Good to hear! :D

Thanks for the feedback! 8)