weird window

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

daviddoria

weird window

Post by daviddoria »

I installed the driver, then as per the instructions i ran this:

sudo /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb

A very awkward window with "general", "sensitivity and filters", "button mapping", "custom functions" appears, but it seems like it is very broken (ie nothing is aligned/ nothing works when I click on it). However, when this window is open, the xcube and xvalue demos work, but when I close this window they stop working. Is there a way to start the driver without this window having to be open?

I am running Fedora 9 .

Thanks,
Dave
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Dave,

it sound like a Motif issue. It seems that on some distributions LessTif is installed instead of OpenMotif. LessTif sadly makes troubles. If its the case, that you have LessTif installed, please try to uninstall the files that come with this package an install OpenMotif.

For example you can download the RPM from this source or the 32Bit version here.

Please let me know if this helps!

Regarding driver window/no driver window: Currently we don't provide a solution, to start the driver without having this main window.

Regards,
Christian Robl
3Dconnexion
daviddoria

Post by daviddoria »

You are right - I had installed lesstif, but I uninstalled lesstif with
sudo yum remove lesstif*

and installed the package you recommended, but the same window appears when I try to run it. What can I check / try next?

Dave
appultaart

Post by appultaart »

Hi Dave,

that 'awkward window' - which indeed is awkward - is something you have to deal with, I fear. I am not able to run the SpaceNav without that window open.

I have written a simple script to switch on/off the SpaceNav driver only when I need it (starting it before using Blender); and use the Alltray program to minimize the SpaceNav driver window into the system tray.

Workable, not optimal.
nuclear

Post by nuclear »

You might want to try using my free driver instead of the 3dxsrv one, it works without any windows as a daemon, and it's compatible with the 3dxsrv protocol so it should work everywhere as a drop-in replacement.
http://spacenav.sourceforge.net
pyalot

Post by pyalot »

If 3dconnexion would fix their linux driver support there'd be no need to put up with that, see this thread