3dxware autostart - pls no GUI

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

djs_core

3dxware autostart - pls no GUI

Post by djs_core »

Hello,
I have a question.
Driver me works fine, but is set to run without a GUI... Is this possible?
Thanks djs_core
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi djs_core,

I'm not sure what you mean with "without a GUI"?

Without X11: Not possible, the driver needs to have X11 as the transport protocol bases on XClientMessages.

Without GUI: Well, the driver should start in an iconified state, so there should be just a little button-a-like icon in your desktop panel (depends on the Linux distribution).

What Linux distribution do you use? And what exactly does happen?

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion
djs_core

Post by djs_core »

I use openSuse 10.3 x86_64 and desktop KDE 4.0.4. See screenshot: http://www.djscore.org/Temp/screen.png
This is about me, that window is not to minimize to tray or close. Since setting do not need to change it and I thought, if the system could start in the driver implement without this window, possibly to run in the tray bar.
Thanks djs_core
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi djs_core,

so the driver starts with the maximized window and its not possible to minimize/iconify it. This is truly not a nice behaviour of the driver and shouldn't be the case.
We have experienced kind of a similar thing on RedHat 5, where the driver starts maximized, too. But here its possible to iconify.

I'll see, if I can reproduce this issue here in our lab and let you know (I'm back in the office again on Monday)!

Can you please try what happens, if you use Gnome as desktop instead?

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion
djs_core

Post by djs_core »

Hello,
using only KDE, so I can not try in Gnome behavior. Gnome does not know.
Finally, I have to resolve, so that I switch off autoloading after each start. I created a link and when I go to work, so before you run applications run driver manually.
dbramsen

Post by dbramsen »

I have the same question - Is it possible to run the driver without showing the driver control panel? I'm starting the driver from my own app using:

system("/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb")

and I don't want the driver control panel to show up when that happens. I know I can minimize it, but is it possible to have it not show up at all?
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi dbramsen,

currently this is not possible, sorry.
We consider this as an enhancement in future versions. We track this internally as #4992. Please use this number for your reference.

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion