deb / rpm packages for linux driver?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to see official deb / rpm packages?

Yes
83%
What's deb /rpm?
17%

Total votes: 6

twisted

deb / rpm packages for linux driver?

Post by twisted »

Hi, does the company plan to provide .deb or .rpm binary packages for the Linux driver(s)? I, for one, would like to be able to install & uninstall the driver using the Synaptic GUI on Ubuntu instead of running a shell script.
Last edited by twisted on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi twisted,

I'm sorry to say so, but it's currently not planned to provide a RPM package for the Linux driver.
Since we don't officially support the Debian distribution, a DEBian packaging is also not planned.

Regards,

Christian Robl
3Dconnexion
twisted

Post by twisted »

Ah. Well, I hope you'll reconsider. After all, some of the most polished and popular Linux distros -- say.. Ubuntu? -- are Debian derivatives. If you are serious about entering the Linux desktop market, it would be a smart move for you to officially support it, IMHO. I'm sure the Ubuntu maintainers would be more than happy to include your drivers in the appropriate repositories..

But who says that this should stop anyone from rolling their own? If anyone in the linux community is hosting .debs or rpms at this time, let us know - thanks!
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi twisted,

thank you for these suggestions. We will take them in consideration for future releases.

Regarding RPMs or DEBs from other sources:
I see no problems if someone wants to build a package on his own, although I don't know of anyone doing such from our archives. Though, probably arising issues regarding installation or setup are then not covered well from our side.

Btw. you're mentioning Ubuntu/Debian. We currently only support RedHat and (Open)SuSE. Of course, the other distribution should work as well, but are not tested.

Regards,

Christian Robl
3Dconnexion