Spaceball 4000 FLX - Switching between Applications

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

jmarkus

Spaceball 4000 FLX - Switching between Applications

Post by jmarkus »

I use a Spaceball 4000 FLX on Solaris for both CATIA V5 and (Unigraphics) NX3. The xdriver uses completely different settings for these CAD packages so when I need to switch between them I have to keep going to the Motion Control Center and select CATIA V5 or NX. Is there a way I can program a button on the Spaceball so that when I press it, it toggles from one application to the other (and back)?

Thanks,
Jeff
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Jeff,

the xdriver normally switches automatically to the setting for the application that is worked with. Therefore you have to program the settings to the panels in the MCC (you have four panels available).
For an example: Setup panel 1 with the CATIA V5 setting and on panel 2 the one for NX3. From now on the xdriver knows that it can use the two settings and switches to the appropriate if the right application is in focus.

If you really want to switch configurations via a device button: Lets say you have all four panels setup for CATIA (or other) and switch between them, then you have to map the button that switches through the panels in all of the four panels/settings. Otherwise you wind up in the panel/setting that has this button not mapped, of course :wink:

Alternatively you can download the latest 3DxWare for Solaris V1.2.11 from our website and give it a try.
3DxWare UNIX supports our latest devices and is the successor of the xdriver, which is no longer under development.

Christian Robl
3Dconnexion