Debian, SpaceNavigator PE, 3DxWare V1.2.7,failed to get user

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

CASA
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by CASA » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:42 am

uludwig wrote:The beta is now released. It is version 1.2.11 and available from our download site: http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/software

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Hello again. Is this driver available for HP-UX?

UtaSH
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

3DxWareUnix version 1.2.11

Post by UtaSH » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:40 am

Hi CASA,

when you check our download page (http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/software) you can see that the current HP-UX driver is version 1.2.11.

Uta

CASA
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by CASA » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:18 am

Back in the village. I have managed to attach a SPball 4000 (SpacePilot said the guy) via USB, and run the latest drivers. Still no success.

Tired of it, I have replaced the entry at /etc/inittab with this line:

3d:234:respawn:/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -debug -E -d usb </dev>/dev/null 2>&1

So the daemon writes a log. Well, here is an excerpt:

boss@infernal_machine:/tmp/2>tail -f ../3DxWare.log
[October 17:07:34] auth.c :: authGetUser(), FOUND: user = damn_user, id = dt, line = console, pid = 3567, host = dpshp329:0, type = 7
[October 17:07:34] auth.c :: authGetUser(), FOUND: user home = "/home/damn_user"
[October 17:07:34] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), authGetUser(), user=damn_user
[October 17:07:34] UdDev: Opening USB device on USB port /dev/hid/hid_000
[October 17:07:34] UdDev: SpacePilot opened
[October 17:07:34] UdDev: Opening SpacePilot device on USB port /dev/hid/hid_000
[October 17:07:35] spilot_usb.c :: UdDevRezero(): Rezeroing the device
[October 17:07:35] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), XOpenDisplay called with display name=:0, display = 400195c8
[October 17:07:35] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), SUCCESS!

[October 17:07:59] Home directory: /home/damn_user
[October 17:08:43] UiSb: Directory "/etc/3DxWare" opened for configs.
[October 17:08:43] UiSb: Directory "/home/damn_user/.3dxcfg" opened for configs.
[October 17:08:43] Error: Can't generate configurations list! Memory(-management) error?


Please, what else... :cry: I think I am getting much closer every time. There are a good number of people affected, so I want to get rid of this.

The .3dxcfg user directory was made after I looked in the log and tried to run it, saying that folder was unusable or something like that.

UtaSH
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Post by UtaSH » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:50 am

It looks as if the driver has problems to read the default configurations in /etc/3DxWare. Do the files default.scg and default_10.scg exist there? Did you change them?
CASA wrote:The .3dxcfg user directory was made after I looked in the log and tried to run it, saying that folder was unusable or something like that.

I do not really understand what you mean with this.
  • Do you say that you created the folder manually after you saw this error message?
    What are the access rights of this folder?
    Are there any files in it?

CASA
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by CASA » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:47 pm

uludwig wrote:It looks as if the driver has problems to read the default configurations in /etc/3DxWare. Do the files default.scg and default_10.scg exist there? Did you change them?
CASA wrote:The .3dxcfg user directory was made after I looked in the log and tried to run it, saying that folder was unusable or something like that.

I do not really understand what you mean with this.
  • Do you say that you created the folder manually after you saw this error message?
    What are the access rights of this folder?
    Are there any files in it?
All the folders are accessible. I even tried to su to another user without privileges, moved on to the folders, opened (view/more) files. No file was changed.

The folder was created when I saw the driver was trying to access the folder .3dxcfg in the $HOME of the user. I got every kind of message, despite even the -configDir parameter was used.

More log... daemon in inittab mode. No user logged in again at 17:12... who was searching the driver?

boss@hell_machine:/tmp>ps -ef | grep -i 3dx ; tail -f 3DxWare.log
root 2509 1885 0 16:38:33 pts/ta 0:00 grep -i 3dx
Time: October 17:12:07
Machineinfo 1: Systemname=HP-UX, Nodename=hell_machine, Release=B.11.11
Machineinfo 2: Version=U, Machine=9000/785
Runlevel-Info: . run-level 3 Oct 14 22:04 3 0 S

-----------------------------------

[October 17:12:07] 3dxsrv.c,651: displayname = $DISPLAY set to :0
[October 17:12:08] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), authGetUser(), failed to get user
[October 17:12:08] Error: 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), authGetUser(), failed to get user

It even happened when an user logged in; I don't have the logs but that message was repeated.

Which files does the driver search? I know it looks at utmp, passwd, nsswitch.conf...

15:50 - edit

This is the dump for the /tmp/3DxWare.log, recent time:


3DxWareUNIX V1.2.11 ID 3213 log file
Process ID: 16988
Time: October 16:44:18
Machineinfo 1: Systemname=HP-UX, Nodename=dpshp329, Release=B.11.11
Machineinfo 2: Version=U, Machine=9000/785
Runlevel-Info: . run-level 3 Oct 16 17:37 3 0 S

-----------------------------------

[October 16:44:18] 3dxsrv.c,651: displayname = $DISPLAY set to :0
[October 16:44:19] auth.c :: authGetUser(), FOUND: user = c80204, id = dt, line = console, pid = 11406, host = dpshp329:0, type = 7
[October 16:44:19] auth.c :: authGetUser(), FOUND: user home = "/home/c80204"
[October 16:44:19] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), authGetUser(), user=c80204
[October 16:44:19] UdDev: Opening USB device on USB port /dev/hid/hid_000
[October 16:44:19] UdDev: SpacePilot opened
[October 16:44:19] UdDev: Opening SpacePilot device on USB port /dev/hid/hid_000
[October 16:44:19] spilot_usb.c :: UdDevRezero(): Rezeroing the device
[October 16:44:19] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), XOpenDisplay called with display name=:0, display = 400195c8
[October 16:44:19] 3dxsrv.c :: startupInittab(), SUCCESS!

[October 16:44:26] Home directory: /home/c80204
[October 16:44:26] UiSb: Directory "/etc/3DxWare" opened for configs.
[October 16:44:26] UiSb: Directory "/home/c80204/.3dxcfg" opened for configs.
[October 16:44:26] Error: Can't generate configurations list! Memory(-management) error?


These are the folders implied, mentioned before, along with their parent folders:

root-dpshp329:/tmp>ll -d /etc/3DxWare /home/c80204/.3dxcfg | awk '{ print $1,$9 }'
drwxr-xr-x /etc/3DxWare
drwxrwxrwx /home/c80204/.3dxcfg

root-dpshp329:/tmp>ll -d / /home /home/c80204 /etc | awk '{ print $1,$9 }'
drwxr-xr-x /
dr-xr-xr-x /etc
drwxr-xr-x /home
drwxr-sr-x /home/c80204


This is the content for /home/c80204/.3dxcfg:

-rw-r----- 1 c80204 operator 26011 Oct 16 12:11 Catiav4_01.scg

I hope it helps (yes, finally I put the user & machine name).

UtaSH
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Post by UtaSH » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:42 am

Hi CASA,

when you have an entry in the /etc/inittab the driver is started when the machine is up. It then checks if someone is logged in and if no one is logged in you will see the message in the log file "failed to get user". Which is ok then.

For the next error you posted ("Memory(-management) error?") I have still no hint what this could be. Could you please send the *.scg files from /etc/inittab and the *.scg file(s) from $HOME/.3dxcfg to an email address that I will give you in a private message?

Is the machine a C8000?

What file system are you running in your environment? (NFS, DFS, ... ?)

Please disable the start from the /etc/inittab and start the driver from the command line. I would like to know if you get the same error.

Thanks,
Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion

CASA
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by CASA » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

uludwig wrote:Hi CASA,

when you have an entry in the /etc/inittab the driver is started when the machine is up. It then checks if someone is logged in and if no one is logged in you will see the message in the log file "failed to get user". Which is ok then.
I understand, but this error also happens when an user is logged in...
uludwig wrote:For the next error you posted ("Memory(-management) error?") I have still no hint what this could be. Could you please send the *.scg files from /etc/inittab and the *.scg file(s) from $HOME/.3dxcfg to an email address that I will give you in a private message?
I've just sent it to you, along with more files I found important.
uludwig wrote:Is the machine a C8000?
Yes. It's a C8000:

# model
9000/785/C8000


Everything of this happens only at our C8000 machines. The rest of the models work, no matter what kind of SpaceBall, drivers or device is plugged in or installed.
uludwig wrote:What file system are you running in your environment? (NFS, DFS, ... ?)
Both of them, a mixture; the main FS are mounted in local, home and other FFSS are mounted via NFS.
uludwig wrote:Please disable the start from the /etc/inittab and start the driver from the command line. I would like to know if you get the same error.

Thanks,
Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Done. Device still not working :-/

No, wait a moment...

# /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -debug -E -d usb &

in the console makes the device work, yes. But I must have the console open for it to work.

Something is going on. Even, the... wait, I have put the line in the .profile and the .dtprofile of the user (better twice ;)) and it works!

Where should I put it, I know it must be once but as for testing I have done it twice? .profile or .dtprofile? I suppose this last one, and in the beginning of the file.

Next step is bringing it to another machine and do the same tests. As soon as the next test works (or not), I will inform you in order to get a global solution for cases like these.

CASA
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by CASA » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:59 pm

More news. Both the new and the old driver with the old spaceball work too... when started from $HOME_user/.dtprofile, as I supposed, not from inittab as default installation makes it. I put it in the /etc/profile and it didn't work, it must be started from the command line by the user or one of his/her .*profile/.*rc.

So, imho, there should be an intermediate step in installation (at least for us ;)): checking if it's a C8000 machine, and if it happens, make it not write in the /etc/inittab but in the profile files (automatically, by indication in screen, or an INSTALL file).

Luckily our profile files are centralized and their .profile files are symbolic links. For us it's pretty easy to make it work.

Thank you for all your patience and efforts.

UtaSH
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Post by UtaSH » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:08 am

Hi CASA,

when you go through the installation you are asked if you want to install the start of the driver into the /etc/inittab or not.

In your case it could be a problem with the user's $HOME directory. You could try to start the driver with the option -altUserConfigDir <dir>. This changes the directory where the driver saves the userspecific configuration files. Default is $HOME/.3dxcfg and this can be changed with the above mentioned option.

Uta

CASA
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Post by CASA » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:20 am

uludwig wrote:Hi CASA,

when you go through the installation you are asked if you want to install the start of the driver into the /etc/inittab or not.

In your case it could be a problem with the user's $HOME directory. You could try to start the driver with the option -altUserConfigDir <dir>. This changes the directory where the driver saves the userspecific configuration files. Default is $HOME/.3dxcfg and this can be changed with the above mentioned option.

Uta
I started the driver with that option and it seemed it was deaf, it browsed to the $HOME/.3dxcfg dir always. I have no captured log for this one, sorry, but I tell you what I did suffer :D

As for the setup, I can't notice if I saw something like that.

Nevertheless, problem over. Thank you very much.

Post Reply