New usable range of axis values

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Mac Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

flomotan

New usable range of axis values

Post by flomotan »

With the release of v1.0.1 of the Mac driver, the default range of values returned for each axis is from -512 to 512. This corresponds with the actual available raw data coming from the device.

Previous beta versions of the driver had a scaled range of values that resulted in a wider range of values. Some of which went up to -2500 to 2500. Scaling was done by multiplying the incoming data (-512 to 512) by a fixed constant.

The new range of values does not represent a loss of precision. It should actually provide a more consistent linear range of values. Starting with v1.0.1, you can get values that increment or decrement by 1. This was not possible in the beta driver.

Because of this change, applications written with the beta driver value range will feel slower. Developers - please adjust how you scale incomig device values within your applications.
GregVDS

Post by GregVDS »

Is this the reason why ControllerMate does not feel anymore the movement of the Space Navigator?
All the best,

GregVDS
stew

Post by stew »

It still seems like the Mac OS X drivers operate at a different sensitivity than the Windows drivers. Is this still something that can change or will the values I get from the drivers remain like that? I am working on an application that support both OS X and Windows and want to provide a consistent experience.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The Mac and Windows drivers should have fairly similar sensitivities. One thing different is the Mac driver has a more linear scale while the Windows driver has a more exponential scale at the high range of the speed settings.

We've found that it's usually good to tune for the Mac and Windows individually. The two platforms often yield different overall performance levels.

Is it possible to get a test version of your application so we can see the difference between Mac and Windows? You can also reach me via email it that's better
stew

Post by stew »

Ah! That explains a lot - when I started writing it on the Mac, I added non-linear behavior because it just felt more natural. When I tried out the same code on Windows, it felt really weird and linear worked better there. About the test version - I sent you a PM.