SpaceMouse through networks

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

RobFR

SpaceMouse through networks

Post by RobFR »

Hi all,

I need to use the spacemouse over the network. For example, I've got a 3D program running on server and a client controlling this program using spacemouse.
On the client side, I can get the mouse events and then transmit it to the server. On the server side, I can receive spacemouse events and here's come the tricky part, replay it.

So, I've three questions:
- First of all, this can work or not ?
- A program can listen to spacemouse events without physical device ?
- Is it possible to simulate an event ?

Thanks for the answer,
Rob
jwick

Re: SpaceMouse through networks

Post by jwick »

Complicated question. It depends on how much you control things, how transparent you want the solution to be, if you want the user to be able to use the device on the client machine also, etc.

If you control the entire pipeline, you can provide a DLL the driver will call. In that DLL you can send the data over a network connection. I have a sample that shows how to do this with named pipes. You establish your own protocol for reading the events in your server program. Your server side program has to be changed to be woken by these events. It's all very isolated.

This forwarding is handled for you automatically with HP Remote Graphics. And we already have a Citrix solution you can install, if that technology is being used. Without either of these remoting solutions you can't use the 3DxWare SDK functions on the server app. But it's not difficult to grow your own if you already have experience with server-client apps.
RobFR

Post by RobFR »

Yeaaah.. quite complicated, I spent two days of research just to know if it was possible .. and I'm not even sure today.

The fact is I work with a cloud computing architecture named GamingAnywhere (great research project!) so I have control on the client, on the pipeline between client/server, on the server but absolutely not on programs running on the server (e.g. Solidworks, Catia, Unity3d...). The client don't need to use the device on his machine directly because everything is running on server side, client only see streamed video of server desktop.

To make it simple, I just need to replay the events on the server without physical device and no matter the method to handle these signal (RAWINPUT, DirectInput etc...)

Concerning Citrix solution, it cannot be used and for HP Remote Graphics, GamingAnywhere do the trick perfectly and even better :).

By the way, I've never been able to access your ftp server, what's wrong ?

Big thanks Jim,
Rob
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Rob,

I think the ftp server has been retired. Maybe it will be replaced by something else, but that's not my dept.

If you want to feed Solidworks, etc., I don't think you can do that alone. We would need to develop a network layer for the transport protocols we use locally. Not an unsurmountable problem--we have done something similar for Citrix. But, also nothing that is scheduled.

Sorry.
Jim
RobFR

Post by RobFR »

Too bad for the ftp, many examples are redirected on this server ..

Ok I see. Anyway thanks for your support !
I found a japanese research project called USB/IP. I'll try it tomorrow, could work .

Regards,
Rob
NMGMarques

Post by NMGMarques »

RobFR wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:10 am Too bad for the ftp, many examples are redirected on this server ..

Ok I see. Anyway thanks for your support !
I found a japanese research project called USB/IP. I'll try it tomorrow, could work .

Regards,
Rob
I am actually interested in knowing if you ever found a solution for this. So far I think only HP RGS does this, but it's not available for all PC's.